Single Cylinder Opposed

I continue to be amazed at the rate of your build.

I'm wondering if the spark plug and valves have 3 independent ports or are to be implemented via a single tapped hole.

IIUC, you intend to use O-rings as piston rings. You might want to consider using X profile rings to better resist "rolling" an O-ring.

Each has it's own port.

I have never had a problem with the o-rings on my other engines. I am trying to imagine how the o-ring would roll if properly installed.
Thanks for the comment.
Ray

I cut out the two outer connecting rods and installed the bearings in the ends.
IMG_3678.JPG

Cutting relief slots in the end of the arms for the rod cap bolts.
IMG_3679.JPG

This is how I drilled the holes for the rod bolts.
It may look a little dodgy but the holes came out straight and true.
IMG_3684.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Last edited:
Man, you're flying through this build! What's it been 2 weeks? Similar projects seem to go on for months or even years. Everything looks top notch too...

Yes this part of the build is going very well but there is a lot left to figure out before it will run.
I have waited my whole life to have the time and money to be able to build things in my shop so I am enjoying it.
Thank you Eddy for the kind words.

Ray

I sawed through the center of the rod bearings, enlarged the holes in the caps for 4-40 cap screws, threaded the rod ends, reassembled and drilled the rod bearings to size. Then I gave them a little shine.
IMG_3687.JPG

Here they are installed on the engine. I did have some minor fitting to do on the rods but now they move smoothly. I don't have the o-rings installed yet so things might change but for now all is good and smooth.
IMG_3691.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

What a crazy cool looking engine! Two rods for one piston.

One cylinder
Three rods
Two pistons.

It is crazy looking.

Ray

I really like the height!
Any concerns about the 4-40 rod bolts pulling out since the uppers are in tension? With 2 conn rods it’s half the force but, still.

That is something I hadn't thought of and could happen I suppose. I don't think it will be likely to happen on this project as the compression ratio is fairly low but something to keep in mind. Thanks Firstram

I think two 4" flywheels will be best for this model.
I could make up several reasons for the smaller size but really I have the material for the 4" wheels so 4" it will be.

IMG_3692.JPG

Aluminum inside.
IMG_3697.JPG

Pressed together, cleaned up, with split tapered retainers.
IMG_3700.JPG

Next will be to give the flywheels a good coat of paint and the retainers a little shine.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back