Straight 6 Cylinder Engine

I pulled the head today to see what was wrong with number 5 cylinder. I mounted the head on the valve test plate and applied 60 pounds of shop air. I expected that the exhaust valve was the culprit and needed some more lapping. But there were no leaks from either valve they were good. I checked for suction on number 5 cylinder and that was good also. After close inspection I noticed that the intake valve springs on number 5 and 6 cylinders were different from the rest. I had trouble finding the intake springs and had went to several hardware stores to purchase them. These two springs were much too stiff so I rummaged through all my junk drawers and found two that would work.
As long as I had the head off I made a new head gasket from the same material that I had used on many of my other models but not originally on this model. The suction on number 6 cylinder was not that great so I removed the piston and rod and replaced the o-ring on that cylinder.

The hall sensor is doing fine.

Well here it is.

There is still some tuning to do and I realized that I had never adjusted the ignition timing as it is till on TDC.:oops2:

Thanks for looking
Ray

Very nice. Purrs like an angry kitten!

Sounds good. Have you put a tach on it yet?

Very nice. Purrs like an angry kitten!
Thanks Robert I expect it will run even better when I have it tuned in.

Sounds good. Have you put a tach on it yet?
No Chris I haven't yet but estimate the idle is around 1000 rpm now.

How were you able to assess that number 5 was done?
Larry the exhaust stack on #5 was much cooler than the others.

Thank you all for the comments and following along
Ray

What a beautiful engine. Great work.

I have been busy the last few days cleaning, rearranging the shop and building a display cabinet for the 6 cylinder.
Newest Cabinet.JPG

I am quickly running out of wall space for model engines.
Karl Benz lives on the north wall.
North Wall.JPG

The east center wall is already full.
East Wall Center.JPG

And next to them and a little further south are these.
East South Wall.JPG

The south wall.
South East Wall.JPG
South Wall.JPG

I will now be seriously fine tuning the 6 cylinder and maybe another video.

16 engines in total do you think I have a problem?

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back