Rotary Vee Engine

First an update on the project over the last few days.
The next two pictures show how the end plates and the cylinders are assembled. The brass nipples are where the air supply is attached and for the exhaust air.
IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

A close up view of the end plates front and back. Using a surface plate and 600 sand paper I sanded the end plate and the cylinder ends for a good fit.
IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

This is one of the piston assemblies that shows the scratches and swirl marks on the piston caused by them binding in the aluminum cylinder.
IMG_3836.JPG

The motor will run for a very short time but then it binds up.

I believe I made two fatal mistakes when I started this project. I made the cylinders out of an unknown grade of aluminum that was difficult to turn and drill. It seemed to be gummy but I used it anyway thinking it would be OK for this.

Using brass for the pistons was probably not the best choice either. A steel piston in a steel cylinder may have been a better choice.

I am not giving up on this project but letting it rest a while for now as I think it over some.

Thanks for looking
Ray

If you did brass on brass would the mass of the cylinders substitute for a flywheel? Perhaps brass is too soft anyway?

Back