Single Cylinder Opposed

The valve pocket is a separate block that serves as both the intake and exhaust port to the main cylinder. The spark plug is shown as a small circle in the valve pocket. The upper curved part of the pocket is connected to the carb and the intake valve is atmospherically operated. The exhaust valve is in the lower curved part of the pocket and is operated by a cam and push rod that is not shown. Drawings of this type don't show all the parts of an engine but just the general idea.
I may or may not use a valve pocket design or rather individual intake and exhaust valves and guides.

tq60 yes there are several engines actually in use today of that design and usually in large HP types.

A photo of a 4 cycle engine with two crankshafts and chain drive that I built a few years back.
It is a little noisy but runs fine.
IMG_1206.JPG

Ray

Where is the spark plug on the engine you made? Do these opposed piston engines typically run a higher comp ratio? What are you shooting for?

Robert the spark plug is on the bottom of the center section. This is the link to that build.

Flyinfool that is a better picture of the engine and easier to understand .
thank you.

Ray

Interesting…

The Farebanks Morse opposed piston diesel uses a driveshaft and gears to drive the upper crankshaft (vertical engine) vs rods like this one.

I recall reading that the cranks are out of phase by several degrees intentionally so that the pistons remain close after TDC firing for improved performance.

I will have to do some more thinking on that one. Thank you Larry

I had already milled the pieces for the crankshaft a few days back and was waiting for the ball bearings to come in. Well they got here late yesterday so today after mowing the grass I assembled the crank. The bearing pairs are visible in the two wider sections.
IMG_3590.JPG

The two outer guide rods have been removed and after a couple of hours I will install the rod journals. Now the glue up will sit over night and then tomorrow the holes for the tapered pins will be drilled and pins installed.

Thanks for looking
Ray

What material(s) did you choose for the crank pictured?

Do you intend to "operate" this engine via internal combustion or compressed air or ???

I found this pic, but I do not read french.....:(
View attachment 498840
French wouldn't help as it is in Spanish.
Anyway, I copied the text, translated it and pasted it back in.
Some of the paragraphs made no sense, so I typed the questionable words manually then translated them. It makes more sense now but still a bit rough. I suspect the Spanish version may have been translated from another language.
gobron_brillie_engine_Translated .jpeg

What material(s) did you choose for the crank pictured?

Do you intend to "operate" this engine via internal combustion or compressed air or ???
The main shaft is 10mm drill rod and the rod journals are 7mm drill rod. The crank arms are made of mystery steel I had laying around and milled to size. The engine will be powered by gasoline internal combustion. I use colman fuel as it doesn't have all the additives that pump gas has.

Eddy that was very thoughtful of you and appreciated.

Ray

Robert the spark plug is on the bottom of the center section. This is the link to that build.
Awesome! That chain really seems to add some noise. I love these unusual builds. It is amazing how many ICE designs exist.

Back