Straight 6 Cylinder Engine

I'm sure the picture makes it look LARGER than it is. Nice work!

I am going to let the paint cure on the flywheel another day so I don't mess it up. Maybe tomorrow.

I cutout the six cams today but I didn't get any pictures.
This is an older picture showing how I make my cams on the CNC.
Cam Cutout.JPG

All lined up but not timed yet.
IMG_3468.JPG

Earlier I had thought the cam supports were a little high and they were by 0.020 or so so I took 0.040 off all of them just to be sure. I ended up shimming the supports back up 0.025 to get the correct height. Well that move made it necessary to add a belt tightener but that was probably for the best as now I have a way to adjust the belt.
IMG_3472.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Looks like the cam only drives one set of valves (exhaust?). Intake valves open via vacuum?

Yes Larry that is right. I had looked at setting the valves in line with the head and the intake and exhaust ports would come out on the same side of the engine. But that would only leave 0.150 of material between the port holes and that side of the engine would be very crowded. The cavity for the spark plug is in the way for opposite exits of the ports. I could have used rocker arms and offset the cam to the side but I didn't think it would be worth the effort.
Thanks for asking
Ray

I'm sure the picture makes it look LARGER than it is. Nice work!
Only one picture today for scale.
IMG_3474.JPG

If you look at the picture closely you can see the timing belt tensioner is on the other side.
On most of my models the flywheel is on the front of the engine and it turns clockwise. When I built the crank I set it up for the water pump to be the front of the engine. and that end would turn clockwise to be more in tune with automotive engines. Well I completely forgot about that until I was setting the cam lobes. Nothing was lining up the rods were in the wrong places.
I was turning the flywheel clockwise not counter clockwise.:bang head:
I moved the timing belt tensioner over to the other side, turned the flywheel counter clockwise, and started setting the cams.
When I was finished I turned the engine over several times and then went back to check the cams. None of them were where I had set them. I checked that I had tightened the timing gears to their shafts and that was correct. Only one thing left the timing belt.
On closer examination the teeth on the belt were wider than on the other belts I checked. The spacing was correct at 0.200 but the belt didn't seat into the teeth of the gears. I noticed the belt was a different color so they may be anti static special belts.
I ordered the correct one but it will be about 2 weeks for delivery.

Just hit me now the water pump turns backwards!! Maybe I can give the belt a half turn.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I decided to just make a whole new water pump with the vanes curved the correct direction. The first one pumped water alright but may have been a little weak so I went bigger with the new one.

IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG

New versus old housing.
IMG_3480.JPG

I also enlarged the outlet of the pump and the inlet on the side of the engine.
IMG_3483.JPG

Really moves some water now.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Been busy on vacation so I haven't been following your build. You got a lot done. Did you secure the aluminum piece inside the pipe with locktite when you made the flywheel?

Any trouble keeping everything straight?

Any trouble keeping everything straight?
No everything worked out fine. Thanks

A lot of other thinks happening over the past few days but was able to get started on the distributor.
These are the main parts.
IMG_3487.JPG

All assembled and tested.
IMG_3488.JPG

Painted the dist cap black even if it does look brown in the picture.
IMG_3492.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back