Single Cylinder Opposed

I think two 4" flywheels will be best for this model.

Pressed together, cleaned up, with split tapered retainers.
View attachment 500117

Next will be to give the flywheels a good coat of paint and the retainers a little shine.

Thanks for looking
Ray
I’m a freak about symmetry, 2 flywheels would be perfect!

Split taper retainers, aluminum on aluminum? Please assemble with anti-seize compound on the tapers.

Side track science- Absolutely zero critiquing of the engine-

Those 4-40 rod bolts caught my eye, but I though about it a minute- Depending on the grade, the tensile strength on those is gonna be four, five, six hundred pounds each. (I don't have that chart at home, but it's around that...) Times 75 percent to keep it out of yield, and times four since that's how the load is divided... so 300 to 450 pounds each, 1200 to 1800 pounds without violating the preload (if they're torqued)... I bet they're fine. If not, a stud and bolt conversion (like "real" connecting rods tend to have) would solve the problem.

Armchair science attack over- Opinion-

AN engine with as much symmetry as that one is going to have, materials or no materials, I think that one oughtta have two flywheels.

Split taper retainers in aluminum? Dang, that sounds chancey. Oh well, if that can be done at all, I guess it's in good hands. all shined up, that'll give a good look to that engine. It's funny that the littlest details can add so much to something like this.

Thanks Firstram
Split taper retainers, aluminum on aluminum?
Split taper retainers in aluminum? Dang, that sounds chancey.

I haven't had any problems with that on several of my other engines. I use a 4 degree taper so it doesn't stick too hard.

It's funny that the littlest details can add so much to something like this.
Thanks Jake you are correct.

The engine is still too low so I made some spacers to allow for the flywheels.
IMG_3708.JPG

The paint is not completely dry yet on the flywheels. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I installed the flywheels and the o-rings and made several other adjustments today.
Everything is still turning without any binding.
IMG_3710.JPG

Valves will be next but not for several days as I have other jobs waiting.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Just curious in real life on a full scale engine how the upper cylinder and linkages would be lubricated?

I have no idea Robert but they were enclosed in a housing but it was not closed on the bottom. Maybe enough blow by got past the piston rings to lube the upper piston and linkage.
The drawings are not very complete.

Ray

Thanks Chris

These are the parts I made for the intake valve.
IMG_3719.JPG

Parts installed with a brass thumb screw for the idle adjustment and a brass weight/handle to hold the throttle in the closed position.
IMG_3726.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back