Single Cylinder Opposed

Made up the parts for the exhaust valve. They are almost identical to the parts for the intake valve except the carburetor is replaced with an exhaust pipe. the spring on the exhaust valve is much stiffer also.
IMG_3729.JPG

From the beginning I was planning on using timing gears for the cam shaft well that isn't going to happen. The distance from the crankshaft center to the cam center would require at least three gears be mounted in a row and they would be of considerable size. It would deter from the looks and be very noisy. I have decided to use a timing belt setup so I went looking for parts in my unused horde. I found a 15 tooth and a 30 tooth pulley and the shortest belt I had at 55 teeth.
IMG_3730.JPG

The pulley bores were the wrong size so I enlarged the holes and pressed in brass bushings with set screws.
IMG_3732.JPG
I made a crude drawing which showed where I would like the camshaft to be in relation to the crankshaft and measured the center to center distance. I plugged this information into a belt length calculator and it came up with a belt of 56 teeth.
I should buy a lottery ticket today.
I'm sure I can make my 55 tooth belt work just fine.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks for the comments guys.

I cut out a couple of camshaft supports and pressed in the ball bearings.
IMG_3735.JPG

Made up an idler pulley with ball bearings and got everything mounted.
IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

Seems like a lot of work and material for just one cam lobe.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Looks like it should work and with a timing belt it should run quiet.

So the intake will be passive (not cam driven?)

On a side note; have you ever built a model engine to run on propane?

Robert you are correct on the intake valve and I have never built an engine to run on propane. It seems like a lot of extra work.

Had to mow the lawn this morning and it got hot in the shop this afternoon so not much done today but some CNC work.

Cutting out the saddle for the exhaust valve rocker arm.
IMG_3745.JPG

I also made a cam but no picture of the process.
IMG_3749.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

that looks really great.

Back