Straight 6 Cylinder Engine

Many things came together today and the cooling system is declared complete.

This is the cooling water header tank.
IMG_3532.JPG

Installed the radiator and fan.
IMG_3537.JPG

I hooked up the hoses and added some antifreeze.
IMG_3539.JPG

Would you believe it there were no leaks.
The pump moves a good stream of water even at 600 rpms so we will see how it does keeping the engine cool.
The radiator fan is powered by a wall wart.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I attached a brass weight to the carb throttle arm so it would stay in the idle position. I added a brass bit to the idle adjustment screw so you could adjust it with your fingers. This is the same setup I used on the 4 cylinder model and it worked very well.
IMG_3542.JPG

Sorry I only got a picture of the assembled gas tank. It is about twice the capacity of the tank on the 4 cylinder.
IMG_3554.JPG

Getting very close now just the electronics left.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Ray, it's looking fantastic! I'm sure you'll get to it, but I'm curious. Is there another camshaft (dual overhead?) for the intake valves? It's probably something I missed reading your text.

1720988672520.png

Bruce the intake valves are operated (opened) by the piston going down and creating a vacuum to suck the fuel air mixture into the cylinder. It is not a high performance system but is a simpler design to build and I am not interested in "How fast does it run?".
I want it to be reliable and have a long life.
Ray

Bruce the intake valves are operated (opened) by the piston going down and creating a vacuum to suck the fuel air mixture into the cylinder. It is not a high performance system but is a simpler design to build and I am not interested in "How fast does it run?".
I want it to be reliable and have a long life.
Ray
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation.

This is a piece of poplar that I am cutting out for the electronics box on the big router.
IMG_3546.JPG

Sanded, stained, and finished with spray poly.
IMG_3550.JPG

Here it is mounted to the board with an aluminum cover and a off/on switch.
IMG_3555.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Can't wait to hear it run.
Well you just did and thanks for the help.

Yes it does run but there are some issues that I want to iron out first before the video.

The cooling system is working better than I expected except for the radiator fan. It is really wimpy so I have another fan on order.

Number 5 cylinder is not contributing anything it is just along for the ride. I may have to pull the head to see whats wrong.

The distributor drive gear is slipping on the cam shaft. I thought it was a tight enough fit and didn't need a set screw. Boy was I wrong.

The hall sensor was giving me a fit. Even though it is the same that I used on both of my 4 cylinder engines it would not work on this engine. The engine would start up and run for maybe 5 seconds and then the sensor was toast. I tries several different sensors and none worked for more than a couple of minutes. My friend had purchased the same number sensor but it was a Honeywell brand. That did the trick so far as we ran three tanks of gas through it today.

It may take a few days to get it all sorted but there will be a video.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back