My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

The L3 & L4 are the "C" (common) for reversing the motor. The switch reverses them between hot & neutral. Look inside the switch and you can see the two "arms" that change the center connections between L1 & L2. Without a wire on LS5 when you rotate the switch it will disconnect whatever is on LS4. I thought you had 6 motor wires. Sorry, I'll have to jump on the PC to look at your pictures again

The L3 & L4 are the "C" (common) for reversing the motor. The switch reverses them between hot & neutral. Look inside the switch and you can see the two "arms" that change the center connections between L1 & L2. Without a wire on LS5 when you rotate the switch it will disconnect whatever is on LS4. I thought you had 6 motor wires. Sorry, I'll have to jump on the PC to look at your pictures again
Correct. Only 5 wires. Nothing on Motor #3.

I went ahead and connected all the wires with the exception of M#2 to LS#3... Tested and at least nothing burned or shorted... so at least that is good so far. Tested F and R and still spins in the same direction no matter switch position.

Logan Motor-34.jpeg
Logan Motor-35.jpeg

So all I need now is to test connecting M#2 to LS#3

A just so that I can see it all in one post... pasting the photos of the diagrams again.

Motor and Switch Diagram - 3.jpg
Switch

Switch.jpg

Let's go back to the original diagram for now. I apologize, should have just KISS and worked this out on it and referenced the Logan switch

1720470723846.png
LS#2 is neutral
Blue/White neutral to L2 LS#2 connected all the time. Why the switch is no longer code approved.
LS#6 is hot
Red to LS#4
Black to LS#1 neutral for when the motor is reversed.
Yellow/Green to LS#5 and jumped to LS#3. (For KISS, I'd have shown Yellow/Green to LS#3

Sorry, the jumper is why LS#3 is not "apparently" not connected . Because LS#3 & LS#5 are jumpered together.

I obviously should have just gone to bed. I am so sorry for all the confusion.

:D I am back to being confused! :D

The original diagram for the motor is this:

IMG_6616.jpeg
Problem is that the switch in that diagram is not what I have in the Logan…

Last edited:
I am going to leave it as is... it works (and with most wires connected)... even if only going in one direction.

I thank you for all your help Ron. I need to learn more on this so I can really understand and get to a point where I can decipher it.

I understand your hesitation LOL. Bottom line is a hot and a neutral have to be reversed to reverse the motor.
LS#3 & LS#4 reverse the motor

LS#L1 (load 2 neutral from cord) connected to blue/white & LS#2 are always straight through.
LS#6 (load 1 hot from cord) & LS#5 is straight through to yellow/green on LS#5) Nothing connected to LS#6 or the motor would be on all the time.

When the switch is put in reverse
LS#1 (Black wire) is a new neutral connection from the straight through from LS#2/line 2
(Blue/White is still connected to LS#2)
LS#5 (yellow/green) is still hot by the straight through from LS#6
LS#3 is a new hot made hot by the jumper from LS#5.

So it is the LS#1 becoming neutral and LS#3 becoming hot (by the jumper) that changes the rotation.

Ron, but if you look at how the switch that I have works... LS#5 and LS#6 are always connected...

That is why I am not understanding the comment on "Nothing connected to LS#6 or the motor would be on all the time."

Switch.jpg
Motor and Switch Diagram - Template.jpeg

Last edited:
Starting to see things more clear now... Now I understand your comment when I first posted how it was wired... the two coils got power independent of where the switch was (F or R)

This is how I got it from the previous owner:

Motor and Switch Diagram - Originally Wired.jpeg

So currently I have it wired like this: So still acting as an on/off switch...

Motor and Switch Diagram - Currently.jpeg

And looking at this paper that the previous owner left inside the motor, I have been running it counter clockwise (CCW)

Logan 820 Motor-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Jamie, hence my apology. Please disregard "That is why I am not understanding the comment on "Nothing connected to LS#6 or the motor would be on all the time." I lost my train of thought that "Off" is between LS#5 & LS#5 <rolls eyes at self for very bad screw-up>

Yes, your valid observation was what I was trying to communicate with: "LS#6 (load 1 hot from cord) & LS#5 is straight through to yellow/green on LS#5). {And in reverse LS#5 will also power LS#4 with the jumper).

LS#1 (load 2 neutral from cord) connected to blue/white & LS#2 are always straight through.

And

With no connection to the motor from LS#4 and no connection to power coming in from LS#6 to LS#5 to LS#4, the motor will only run one direction.

I obviously lost track of the previous owner's note. He is showing the wiring for continuous CW or CCW. No switching, matching my statement just above.

I'm going to take another break, re-review what you have posted, and then draw a referenced schematic. If you get it running CW & reversing in the mean time, hallelujah.

Back