Considering Lathe Downsizing

I think the 7500 is kind of a niche machine based largely on price, but it seems like your needs are what it was designed for. If you get it I'll be curious to see what you think. I've not seen to many people who have one, but it seems like a nice, fairly compact lathe.

Maybe not quite as small as you were thinking about, but It should be a good foot shorter and around 8" narrower than your Logan. Also a lot lighter.
For 400 more you get a PM1022V which gives you a bit more swing over the cross slide...

For 400 more you get a PM1022V which gives you a bit more swing over the cross slide...

Right, that is why I say it has a very niche market. It is basically a 4/5 size PM1022. A little smaller, and lighter but it has most of the same desirable features as the 1022. It really only makes sense for somebody where the smaller foot print is a major plus.

Like the 9x20 lathes the 7500 splits the difference in size between the 7x16 lathes and 10x22 lathes. The 9x20 is the budget option in this size, the 7500 offers higher quality being reversible and having a power cross slide.

Exactly; and the 8x20 is perfect for me and the space it will be in, and the space I need between spindle and tailstock.

Still think you should work with the new machine a little before you sell the Logan but that’s your call.

Know you’ve thought it through but once the big lathe is gone you’re not getting it back without major effort.

John

Back