My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Jamie, I just stumbled across an old post of mine on the Groups.io forum. "Logan 820 belt shroud is sized for a frame 48 motor, motor diameter ~ 5-11/16" A bigger frame is when you start running into the belt guard problem.

Jamie, when you shop check the measurements carefully. If the motor shaft isn't long enough, you won't be able to slide the motor out far enough for your pulley before it runs into the back side of the belt guard frame P/N LA-394. And sometimes either the capacitor or the terminal box can run into the side of the drive box. If you have time, making tee nuts for the bottom of the motor bracket P/N LA-383 can make mounting the motor a lot less frustrating. And size your bolt length to be no longer than necessary.

Here's the link to the discussion on the groups.io Logan forum It has some information you should probably review.
Outstanding!! I will measure everything tomorrow. I have time since I am not buying the motor until the end of next month.

Yep certainly check all the dimensions and the shaft diameter and length before buying- the Leeson I posted would be too large
being it's a 56 frame

Outstanding!! I will measure everything tomorrow. I have time since I am not buying the motor until the end of next month.
When the lathes were first designed the NEMA specified shaft length. Many old motors were 5/8" diameter shaft. Now unobtanium. You see some posts where people are sure the 5/8" diameter shaft motor isn't original, but when you look at the parts manual, 5/8" diameter motor pulley was one of the options.

Everything is back together. Need to go over all bolts and nuts, not just those for the motor base, as I put it all together quickly when I got it off the shipping container...

Logan Motor-36.jpeg
Logan Motor-37.jpeg
Logan Motor-39.jpeg

Looking really sweet Jamie! Lots of admiration for what you have accomplished! The Logan's can really get on one's blood.

Everything is back together. Need to go over all bolts and nuts, not just those for the motor base, as I put it all together quickly when I got it off the shipping container...
:encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage:

Can't wait to see it making chips.

Back