Considering Lathe Downsizing

Another thought- How much do you enjoy working on machines? My Micromark was 'pretty good' but I still did a lot of work on it. I enjoy that kind of stuff. If you would find it irritating to be distracted from your main hobby of working on pens, I don't think any of the smaller Chinese lathes will make you happy.
Working on a lathe is an important part of my restoration work, for fabricating parts in acrylic, ebonite, and brass; and for accomplishing repairs with precise drilling and boring. I bought the Logan to "up my game" to a level few restorers are currently practicing in the US and Europe and can't imagine going back to not having a working lathe in my work.

Working on a lathe
Perhaps I could have expressed it more clearly: How much do you enjoy fixing, repairing, modifying, and adapting your lathe BEFORE you can get down to working on your 'other projects'? (working 'on' vs 'with' the lathe). I've been avidly following online discussions about 7x and 8x Chinese lathes for a few years now, and I can't recall often hearing somebody mention that their new lathe was 'perfect for high-precision work, right out of the box'.

I have been happy with my Micromark 7x16, although I did make some improvements based on what you can see on YT (plus some changes I came up with on my own).

Although for your work a 7x16 should be sufficient, I’d consider one of the 8-1/2x machines: a little more weight/rigidity and capacity without taking up much more real estate.

I would recommend either the Micromark or Little Machine Shop machines as in my experience they are better than the others out there.

Perhaps I could have expressed it more clearly: How much do you enjoy fixing, repairing, modifying, and adapting your lathe BEFORE you can get down to working on your 'other projects'? (working 'on' vs 'with' the lathe). I've been avidly following online discussions about 7x and 8x Chinese lathes for a few years now, and I can't recall often hearing somebody mention that their new lathe was 'perfect for high-precision work, right out of the box'.
ah...I misunderstood. I have enjoyed all of the work "for" rather than "with" the lathe, but would certainly prefer to not have any of it. I'm not expecting top precision right out of the box. In fact, I need to hit numbers at the 2-3 thou level, not tenths, so hope that's achievable.

Shag, Chazz, thanks -- I haven't checked LMS or Taig yet!

Thanks!
Tim

I am 74. I am new to machining. I too have a Logan 820. I have designed and built 4 different metal pens. I use ER32 collets exclusively for this endeavor. I do not ever use the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I hope this helps.

If you do decide to go for one of the Chinese mini lathes, I'd recommend avoiding the 7x lathes.

Most of the 8x seem to have another inch on the width of the bed (depth? the distance from the front to the back of the bed from the operators perspective, anyway). The difference in rigidity with that larger bed should be noteworthy.

I have a 7x14 and I wish now that, absent the patience to wait for some old English iron to come up (which would have likely been the case), I'd have got an 8x16 or at the very least something like the Warco WM180 (a bit of an oddity these days with it's 7x12 spec but a 4" bed width rather than the usual 3" and built seemingly a bit more stoutly at 60Kg as opposed to the 45 Kg for a standard Chinese 7x14).

If you have the patience, I'd heed the advice to consider looking for a Hobbymat/Prazimat (or perhaps an Emco Compact 8 if those can be found in the US).

If you do go Chinese, you will in all likelihood have your first project as turning the 'kit assembled for shipping convenience' into an actually enjoyably usable lathe.

It'll be a longer project for you than the standard mini lathe purchaser, as being used to a lathe manufacturered to decent standards (albeit one that needed restoration), you'll probably be less willing to accept 'Eh, good enough'.

I suspect many of us Chinese 7x owners (not all, though) feel that our mini lathes will be stepping stones to something bigger and better. You will be missing that consolation.

Last edited:
If funding is not a problem go for a Hardinge HLV-H. High precision, maximum quality, an absolute joy to operate. Small chucks or 5C in the headstock. The absolute best manual threading there is. Easy to operate from a stool as well. Love my Hardinge lathes.

I'll suggest whatever you do don't give up the quick change gear box. You're having trouble with some of the basic stuff like tool post nuts and sliding the tailstock... You don't want to be taking the side off all the time and wrench on/fiddle with change gears. Make sure you don't have to do that. Keep threading easy.

Back