My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

I've only seen them externally mounted with a small cover. I saw one. If you don't remember seeing two then there's probably only one. If we can't match wire colors, should be straight forward to trace them.

I've only seen them externally mounted with a small cover. I saw one. If you don't remember seeing two then there's probably only one. If we can't match wire colors, should be straight forward to trace them.
It has a capacitor mounted on the outside under a cover. I just need to remove the cover to confirm that it is only one in there.

Old photo

022A0C2F-BE68-407D-940E-05FD00EBF83C.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever seen two under a single cover. Consider getting a "whip" fluid resistant flex cover from a big box store/Amazon to replace the wires in the old flex housing.

Okay... need help to correctly wire the motor so that I have Forward and Reverse.

This is the motor I have:

View attachment 495548
Opening the area for the wiring in the motor... this card was inside.

View attachment 495556
View attachment 495557
View attachment 495558
View attachment 495559
View attachment 495560
View attachment 495561

This is the Drum Switch I have:

View attachment 495549
View attachment 495550
Let me number this to make it easier...

View attachment 495563

View attachment 495551
View attachment 495552

This is what the Owner's Manual has for a diagram:

View attachment 495535

Wiring:

View attachment 495553

View attachment 495554View attachment 495555
View attachment 495562

As mentioned before, at this moment, if I move the knob to F or R the motor turns forward...

I will search for the forum member that offered help... I was not ready back then but I am ready now to finish this task.
I deleted a schematic that was close because I'm pretty sure this is what you need.

Last edited:
A few more photos... decided to first tackle the gear replacement. Much easier than dealing with the wiring...

Needed a 7/8" wrench to loosen the nut.
Logan Gear Replacement-10.jpeg

48T spacer gear removed

Logan Gear Replacement-7.jpeg

Broken 60-T gear removed and new one installed... easy peasy...

Logan Gear Replacement-5.jpeg

Logan Gear Replacement-6.jpeg
Logan Gear Replacement-4.jpeg
Logan Gear Replacement-2.jpeg

And I did managed to find the cover... I had stashed it away inside one of the toolboxes during the move.

Logan Gear Replacement-1.jpeg

Now...back to the wiring...

One capacitor...

Logan Motor-27.jpeg

And found this under the cover...

Logan Motor-28.jpeg
A few more photos... I am trying to map the current wiring so I can determine if I just need to switch wires in the drum switch, at the motor, or both...
Logan Motor-23.jpeg
Logan Motor-24.jpeg
Logan Motor-25.jpeg
Logan Motor-26.jpeg

Well, this is interesting... all those wires on the drum switch... only two actually make it inside the junction box...

Logan Motor-29.jpeg

And the Red coming from the motor... goes nowhere... taped by itself in the junction box.

Logan Motor-30.jpeg

Let me try to make a diagram...

It appears that this is how it is currently wired... as mentioned, only the two blue at the drum switch are connected... the other wires in the drum switch are all cut just before entering the junction box. So those are not doing anything.

Sketch Diagram.jpg

I have to say, I am lost when it comes to these diagrams... can't make sense of them...
Motor Wiring Diagram.jpg
Guessing that this is the one I need to follow... But where are the Motor numbers mapping to that Terminal Box??? The motor has 1 - 6. There are no T or C
Logan Motor Diagram-1.png

Last edited:
Only wired as an on/off switch. Strongly recommend you mount a real motor single throw double post cut-off. Too easy to mount just under the barrel switch. The barrel switch leaves the neutral connected.

Back