What Did You Buy Today?

Please excuse my preaching to the choir, but something may be helpful to others.

I got a wild hair a year or so ago (yes, another one) and went on an Albrecht jag. I have long owned and used all of them, up to and including 1/2" capacity. I had a yearning for a 5/8" capacity. I bought used and distressed (pretty cheap) from eBay, based mostly on my intuition (guess) of reparability. I ended up with more than 6 good chucks (including a couple 1/2"). It was a substantial project and a learning experience. I also ended up with one 5/8 chuck assembled almost entirely of unserviceable (serious understatement) parts collected from rebuilds.

My advise is put ROLM on your keyless chuck search list. I got a couple of those (1/2") too. The ROLM are not as completely rebuildable, as the Albrecht are, but major rebuilds (OEM parts cost) are too expensive for either brand. Both of my ROLMs only needed a good cleaning to be fully serviceable.

After my rebuilding experience, I think highly of the Albrecht chucks, but will not be needing additional (I've plucked that wild hair).
I suggest, if one is looking for a used and fully serviceable Albrecht chuck, one needs to touch it before buying. Even take along a drill blank, DTI and mag mount. Spin the chuck and check runout. Open and close the chuck to verify full range, smooth operation. If both are satisfactory, as well as the price, buy it and do as you will with it. I also suggest that just spraying the guts with brake parts cleaner is not a right. An Albrecht needs to be fully disassembled and cleaned. The devil is in the details. Burrs may need to be dressed away. Almost everything needs limited, but proper lubrication. OX tool has a good video on Youtube, except he lubed the spindle threads, which Albrecht says shall not be lubricated. YMMV

Did you mean Rohm? Can't find any chucks by Rolm. Only reference to Rolm I can find is the Silicon Valley company.

Yes I did, 3 times I meant ROHM. ROLM doesn't even look right. (headslap)

I fixed it. Thanks
I have two 1/2" capacity Rohm chucks, one for each lathe. Recently got a baby 0-3mm Albrecht chuck to make a sensitive drill. It's pretty nice, I'll admit, but the Rohm's offer a very good value.

Yes! But how would I drill holes in it? I guess I could try carbide?
And I figured out the strap. It was installed (not by me) in the wrong hole.

Here is what I made years ago. Just use longer screws and all thread to lock down on it.
65a7211686bd8ccae53458314ea89e87.jpg

fbd9290a025c5235fee4b4d1ce34fb9c.jpg

c60cad8674b1a0ed31b5c8d6051b14a4.jpg

8b1e5b83cc4de6e32fa6aaa0e1bd7e8c.jpg

4f777127b999b78b55d63d704bfc3947.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Last edited:
Back