What Did You Buy Today?

Now I have the answer as well.

Ink Brayer roller, pad of paper/card and paint. Apply a drop of paint to paper/card, roll brayer across to get it lightly coated in paint, roll over raised letters and done in seconds.

Helps to no end when doing things like this... NOT my sign, I have a BTC (British Transport Comission) one that I had to completely repaint and the ink brayer worked marvels, saved a ton of time and was done in a very short space of time. I just don't have a phot of it to hand, but this cast iron sign shows how much lettering there is and why a brayer roller is the best answer for this, specific, type of sign given the size of of it (about 3 feet by 2 feet).

castsign.png

I looked up on Youtube long ago how to paint raised letters. It's pretty easy. you take a dowel or square stick, and attach a couple of layers of absorbent cloth (not fuzzy, relatively flat), pour a little paint in a pan, and dab the end of the dabber into it, and dab it on lightly. It is extremely effective and fast. A brayer is also good if the casting is of good quality, and the letters all wound up being the same height (usually) damage to the letters sometimes makes that a touch up area.

the lettering on these vises is somewhat irregular, and there are some letters with small voids and corners that didn't fill all the way which have to be touched up even if you use the other methods. also, at inside right angles like where the body meets the bolt plates, I don't think you'd get a roller close enough.

on something like a plaque or something with a lot of lettering, a brayer would be better.

Last edited:
Back