Quick peek into my new tool cabinet

Thats the joy of being organised enough to have a Label printer. If the content changes, the label changes. ;)

That said, once I get things organised in a good flow for me, they stay that way.
I've said this 1000 times over . Guess I haven't found my good flow yet ! :grin:

Thats the joy of being organised enough to have a Label printer. If the content changes, the label changes. ;)

That said, once I get things organised in a good flow for me, they stay that way.
Easier said than done! I guess I'm better than I thought. I use a PTouch labeler sedulously, and (to my surprise) it took me nearly a full minute to find a mis-labeled drawer. But the drawer labeled "Boring bars, indicators, setup blocks" houses a nut riveter and rivnuts, in spite of my having purchased a labeler. Perhaps it's defective and I should return it?

GsT

Easier said than done! I guess I'm better than I thought. I use a PTouch labeler sedulously, and (to my surprise) it took me nearly a full minute to find a mis-labeled drawer. But the drawer labeled "Boring bars, indicators, setup blocks" houses a nut riveter and rivnuts, in spite of my having purchased a labeler. Perhaps it's defective and I should return it?

GsT

I think the you should fire the person that did the labelling.... They obviously do not know what they are doing ;)

LOL

I've said this 1000 times over . Guess I haven't found my good flow yet ! :grin:

My "Flow" seems to be to have tools / equipment laid out in a reasonable, understandable, manner.

Most used tools to the top, least used to the bottom, set up in First order retrievability for each tool type or each purpose.

Like tools grouped together, and, for machinery (drills/lathe et-al) each tool type having specific, separate storage for the accessories / tools.

Common use tools for various jobs have a separate space.

I have tried logical / rational tool organization, and to some extent it has worked. However, there are always those few tools, the location of which (however illogical) is so ingrained, that I cannot put them where they "should" be and ever find them again. Some things, no matter how many times I can't find them in their ostensibly logical location, just beg to be put in a certain, usually inconvenient, place. I cannot explain this mental defect, but I'm not willing to concede that it is mine, and mine alone.

GsT

My "Flow" seems to be to have tools / equipment laid out in a reasonable, understandable, manner.

Most used tools to the top, least used to the bottom, set up in First order retrievability for each tool type or each purpose.

Like tools grouped together, and, for machinery (drills/lathe et-al) each tool type having specific, separate storage for the accessories / tools.

Common use tools for various jobs have a separate space.
I've met people like you... You need to spend less time organizing your shop, and more time making messes. ;-)

GsT

I've met people like you... You need to spend less time organizing your shop, and more time making messes. ;-)

GsT

You try living with High Functioning ASD and the need to maintain order / tidiness.

I have tried logical / rational tool organization, and to some extent it has worked. However, there are always those few tools, the location of which (however illogical) is so ingrained, that I cannot put them where they "should" be and ever find them again. Some things, no matter how many times I can't find them in their ostensibly logical location, just beg to be put in a certain, usually inconvenient, place. I cannot explain this mental defect, but I'm not willing to concede that it is mine, and mine alone.

GsT
That is "First order retrievability".

Whilst it makes no "Logical" sense, it makes sense to your own, personal, work flow.

That is "First order retrievability".
I agree with this as well as 5 S . Me , like others , are into not only machining but many other hobbies in our work space . 4 Vidmars , 4 HF 42" roll arounds , 3 Kennedy full sets + extras don't hold all my tools , and this is just machining and mechanics tools . My garage is packed , as well as 2 basements and a bedroom . My definition of " First order retrievability " is whatever I find first . I can find anything I need , it's in one of the Vidmars . ( I think ) :D

Back