Quick peek into my new tool cabinet

Always check on the local laws before traveling to another country (or state in the U.S. in some cases): you can easily be arrested for something that isn’t a problem at home.
The only 'cutlery' I tend to take with me on holiday is a waiter's friend and that stays in the accommodation.

Oh and a teensy Gerber Dime on my key chain, but that also stays in the accommodation.

Both are in hold luggage for any flights obviously. ;)

The only 'cutlery' I tend to take with me on holiday is a waiter's friend and that stays in the accommodation.

Oh and a teensy Gerber Dime on my key chain, but that also stays in the accommodation.

Both are in hold luggage for any flights obviously. ;)
What's a "waiter's friend"? I've never heard the term before.

I usually don't take more than a 4" folder and a 10.5" kukri, but sometimes I throw in something else.

GsT

What's a "waiter's friend"? I've never heard the term before.

I usually don't take more than a 4" folder and a 10.5" kukri, but sometimes I throw in something else.

GsT
In many states, anything over a 3” blade is illegal.

In the 90’s, a friend had to check his 3-1/2” blade folding knife at the gate in Frankfort (layover); it actually was waiting for him at baggage claim, along with a hand-carved walking stick.

I own two Gerber auto’s (and a cute little Kershaw that has the fastest action I’ve ever seen) that I was able to purchase since I was a veteran: both stay at home. In some states they are legal; in some having the pocket clip visible (not concealed) makes them legal; in other states they are illegal, period.

No such issues here in AZ, nor were there when I lived in Oregon (that that's very subject to change). It wasn't that many years ago (at least through the early 90's) that you could fly with a knife as long as the blade was under 4" (or a palm width, since that's how it was usually checked). I have an absurd number of knives for some reason. My daily carry knives are either Benchmade or Kershaw, 4" and 3.5" respectively. They're such a great utility that I miss them tremendously on those rare occasions when I don't have one.

GsT

No such issues here in AZ, nor were there when I lived in Oregon (that that's very subject to change). It wasn't that many years ago (at least through the early 90's) that you could fly with a knife as long as the blade was under 4" (or a palm width, since that's how it was usually checked). I have an absurd number of knives for some reason. My daily carry knives are either Benchmade or Kershaw, 4" and 3.5" respectively. They're such a great utility that I miss them tremendously on those rare occasions when I don't have one.

GsT
My EDC used to be a Leatherman Micro (mostly because it and a Swazi Lilangeni were in my pockets when I was T-Boned and flipped over back in the 90's and survived, so carried them for luck), but stopped after 9-11 when I got tired of mailing it to myself if I forgot to put in checked luggage.

Back