What Did You Buy Today?

Suburban sine plate. 6 x 6

View attachment 504113

Great shape except for a little patina. I noticed that the strap sticks up above the table slightly. I don't think that is correct? Any body know?

It is the correct one. That always bothered me. So I made my own positive lock. Below surface at all times. I will take pictures tomorrow. As I use it at work. The setup I have makes a very solid lock. As those who use the straps on sine plates. You tend to get some vibration when machining sometimes. What I did eliminated it.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Also, it needs another side plate. I could make one but it might won't be hardened and ground. Anybody know a source?

Also, it needs another side plate. I could make one but it might won't be hardened and ground. Anybody know a source?

Suburban tool will sell you a fence plate. However, the bolt pattern has changed over the years, at least once. I ordered one from Suburban, maybe ten years ago, and it didn't fit my sine plate. When I called again, I was transferred to somebody who knew the product. It seems my sine plate was an earlier version. Measure your bolt hole spacing and call Suburban technical assistance.

I really have my heart set on an Albrecht or 5, but so does everyone else. Broke down and orderd an Accupro chuck and adapter for the lathe. The chinese chuck that's on the lathe now is horrible, and was probably horrible when it was made decades ago.

Chuck.jpg ForLathe.jpg

They're not here yet, but they should be a welcome upgrade to the "Work In Progress" Sheldon. Having had all of the ways machined/ground and scraped the other year, I don't feel bad spending a little bit more on it here and there.

If this Accupro proves to be OK, I may order one or two more for the mills and drill press. I'm not usually machining professionally, and usually smaller stuff anyway so my guess it will hold up fine. Seriously looked a new Albrecht, but really couldn't justify the price. Still shopping the used market for those, but needed a newer chuck on the lather sooner than later.

I really have my heart set on an Albrecht or 5, but so does everyone else.
Please excuse my preaching to the choir, but something may be helpful to others.

I got a wild hair a year or so ago (yes, another one) and went on an Albrecht jag. I have long owned and used all of them, up to and including 1/2" capacity. I had a yearning for a 5/8" capacity. I bought used and distressed (pretty cheap) from eBay, based mostly on my intuition (guess) of reparability. I ended up with more than 6 good chucks (including a couple 1/2"). It was a substantial project and a learning experience. I also ended up with one 5/8 chuck assembled almost entirely of unserviceable (serious understatement) parts collected from rebuilds.

My advice is put ROLM ROHM on your keyless chuck search list. I got a couple of those (1/2") too. The ROLM ROHM are not as completely rebuildable, as the Albrecht are, but major rebuilds (OEM parts cost) are too expensive for either brand. Both of my ROLMs ROHMs only needed a good cleaning to be fully serviceable.

After my rebuilding experience, I think highly of the Albrecht chucks, but will not be needing additional (I've plucked that wild hair).
I suggest, if one is looking for a used and fully serviceable Albrecht chuck, one needs to touch it before buying. Even take along a drill blank, DTI and mag mount. Spin the chuck and check runout. Open and close the chuck to verify full range, smooth operation. If both are satisfactory, as well as the price, buy it and do as you will with it. I also suggest that just spraying the guts with brake parts cleaner is not right. An Albrecht needs to be fully disassembled and cleaned. The devil is in the details. Burrs may need to be dressed away. Almost everything inside needs limited, but proper lubrication. OX tool has a good video on Youtube, except he lubed the spindle threads, which Albrecht says shall not be lubricated. YMMV

Last edited:
Back