What Did You Buy Today?

thanks. it's really nice to be able to take some of the dusty grinding and sanding work out off the shop for a change.
Stand must be very heavy to off-set the vise off-center holding area... I need to make one...

Stand must be very heavy to off-set the vise off-center holding area... I need to make one...
yes, the legs are 3/16" sq tubing with 1/2" plates for the castors, welded to a 1/4" plate and then a 3/4" steel plate on top of that. then a piece of 1-3/4" wood gluelam beam as the bolting surface. if I run the jaw all the way out it gets a little tippy if I push down hard on it, but that's almost 14" out and unlikely to be necessary.

PXL_20240131_162825731.MP.jpgPXL_20240131_162637709.MP.jpg

I got sick and tired of not being able to get reliable results with my chepo telescoping gauge set. Then I noticed the plating was flaking off the gauging end! I decided it was time to get a good set. I went with the Mitutoyo 155-903, 5/16" to 6", 6 Piece Telescoping Gage Set. Just a joy to use, easily repeatable measurements. The set came with (as they all do) a rather flimsy plastic pouch, so I 3d printed a box.

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

The brake lights and turn signals on my '40 are pretty small and easy for other distracted drivers to miss... so I've been looking for a 6v LED strip that can be wired as a third brake light and turn signals... 12v strips are fairly common, but 6v is not that easy to find...

More visibility is always a good thing, right?

The Criterion boring head does take 3/4" bars... and this one came with an adapter sleeve that allows the use of 5/8" bars... it also came with several bars...

-Bear
Not long after reading this, I found myself behind a Model A pick-up with LED lights. At first I thought there was a wiring failure because there was fading and brightening. The driver happened to pull over where I could also pull over. Driver sounded like he had no idea if they were malfunctioning or working as designed. I gave him my opinion that with a vehicle of that age, my first thought was the lights had an intermittent short so if it was a "feature" I wasn't impressed.

Not long after reading this, I found myself behind a Model A pick-up with LED lights. At first I thought there was a wiring failure because there was fading and brightening. The driver happened to pull over where I could also pull over. Driver sounded like he had no idea if they were malfunctioning or working as designed. I gave him my opinion that with a vehicle of that age, my first thought was the lights had an intermittent short so if it was a "feature" I wasn't impressed.
That’s one of the reasons cars switched to alternators. If he had a generator system the voltage could have been fluctuating with engine speed. Don’t know for sure if this is the case with LED’s but certainly so with incandescent bulbs.

Either way it got your attention which is the point ;)

John

I went with the Mitutoyo 155-903, 5/16" to 6", 6 Piece Telescoping Gage Set. Just a joy to use, easily repeatable measurements.
I have that same set. I really like them. They've been giving me consistent results. I did find a set if inside micrometers a while back, so these get used a little less now, but they're still handy. Sometimes I compare measurements between the ID micrometers and these, and get the same numbers down to 10ths. (More to see if I get consistent results. I'm usually the weak link!)

I got sick and tired of not being able to get reliable results with my chepo telescoping gauge set. Then I noticed the plating was flaking off the gauging end! I decided it was time to get a good set. I went with the Mitutoyo 155-903, 5/16" to 6", 6 Piece Telescoping Gage Set. Just a joy to use, easily repeatable measurements. The set came with (as they all do) a rather flimsy plastic pouch, so I 3d printed a box.

View attachment 504391

View attachment 504399
Looking good, Doug: very nice case, too. Do I see a new item for the online store?

Charlie

Back