What Did You Buy Today?

I had never seen a small Boring/Facing Head for a Bridgeport with a R-8 shaft.
I couldn't pass this one up when I saw it!
It set me back 200.00 but the man sweetened the pain with A mitutoyo 5 tenths finger style indicator and a 12 inch long brand new boring bar.

Attachments

• 20240827_202919.jpg
    20240827_202919.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240827_203005.jpg
    20240827_203005.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 20
where does metric not work. I wish I had bought the metric set over the imperial. My feeling was I could cover more in between sizes. 1mm being about 40 thou would close down by at least 20 thou I would think would cover the entire range. Where did I go wrong in my thinking.
The imperial 1/32" step sizes is just under 0.8mm step sizes. You would need metric 0.5mm for finer steps...

Perhaps grip strength of the collet on something near the bottom of its range is compromised, but unless you buy nearly 50 more collets, 1/32" steps is going to be hard to beat...

Again, maybe I'm missing something...

In my case I have a damaged drain plug in a JD tractor. Someone in a previous life lost the oring in the plug and over tightened it, messing up the wrench flats. 12mm bolt, with 19mm hex. I was going to convert it to a 18mm head, but lacked a way to hold it in the 5c blocks. So, that was the proverbial straw, that triggered the purchase... ;)

The imperial 1/32" step sizes is just under 0.8mm step sizes. You would need metric 0.5mm for finer steps...

Perhaps grip strength of the collet on something near the bottom of its range is compromised, but unless you buy nearly 50 more collets, 1/32" steps is going to be hard to beat...

Again, maybe I'm missing something...

In my case I have a damaged drain plug in a JD tractor. Someone in a previous life lost the oring in the plug and over tightened it, messing up the wrench flats. 12mm bolt, with 19mm hex. I was going to convert it to a 18mm head, but lacked a way to hold it in the 5c blocks. So, that was the proverbial straw, that triggered the purchase... ;)
so are you supporting that 1mm is not good enough, or what?

so are you supporting that 1mm is not good enough, or what?
No. I think 1mm is sufficient step size.
It's just that 1/32" steps are already smaller step sizes than 1mm. To get better than 1/32" steps you have to go to 0.5mm step size collets.
This is why I chose 1/32" step sized collets. (And I do most of my things in inch sizes...)

No. I think 1mm is sufficient step size.
It's just that 1/32" steps are already smaller step sizes than 1mm. To get better than 1/32" steps you have to go to 0.5mm step size collets.
This is why I chose 1/32" step sized collets. (And I do most of my things in inch sizes...)
ok, wondering why Grifter thinks it's not enough.

ok, wondering why Grifter thinks it's not enough.
As am I. Grifter seems to have experience indicating superior performance from closely sized collets. I'm not doubting his experience, but am curious about exactly what he noticed.

The 1/32" step sizes almost splits the difference between 1mm and 0.5mm...

Back