What Did You Buy Today?

Had to modify a part the other day, but didn't have the tools needed... %&%#$#$! Have been looking at getting set up with ERXX collets for a while now. Finally decided to go whole hog and get some ER32 stuff. Hex and square collet blocks, R-8 Adapter, collets, and wrench.

These are some really nice looking collet blocks and R-8 adapter. Wrench is a nice fit, although I'm wondering if I should have also bought a ER32 spanner style wrench. The finish grinding on these look amazing. Hopefully they all run true. Collets were cheap, but had good reviews. Will have to check everything out on the surface plate.
WholeHog.jpg
Just realized, I can put the square collet block in the 4 Jaw chuck on the lathe, and can also turn eccentrics with that setup. Hmmm... :cool:

Also delivered was a nice small 4 jaw chuck, a couple of sine bars, and a reamer from another member here. Thank you! :)

Had to modify a part the other day, but didn't have the tools needed... %&%#$#$! Have been looking at getting set up with ERXX collets for a while now. Finally decided to go whole hog and get some ER32 stuff. Hex and square collet blocks, R-8 Adapter, collets, and wrench.

These are some really nice looking collet blocks and R-8 adapter. Wrench is a nice fit, although I'm wondering if I should have also bought a ER32 spanner style wrench. The finish grinding on these look amazing. Hopefully they all run true. Collets were cheap, but had good reviews. Will have to check everything out on the surface plate.
View attachment 501192
Just realized, I can put the square collet block in the 4 Jaw chuck on the lathe, and can also turn eccentrics with that setup. Hmmm... :cool:

Also delivered was a nice small 4 jaw chuck, a couple of sine bars, and a reamer from another member here. Thank you! :)

You may find you want the half spanner, you may not, but what you will find is that you will wonder why you never acquired a set of ER collets sooner.

I went whole hog and acquired metric and imperial ER32 collets. Where metric will not suit, imperial will and vice-versa. I even went to the point of sourcing the half size metric collets. (0.5 - 1.5 etc) to give as much range as possible and yes, I got collets up to 26mm.

Still considering the square "tapping" collets that will take a tap, though with what else I am considering, they may be a "leave alone" item.

Have been looking at a full "Ring" spanner and keep meaning to acquire one for equal pressure around the castellations, rather than rely on just using four of the slots/keyway grooves of the nut.

=============================================================================================

As to WDIBT? I ordered a second 50mm boring head that takes 12mm shank boring bars. That now gives me the option of using either 12mm or 1/2" shank boring bars.

Overkill? perhaps, but at least I do not have to worry whether I acquire 12mm or 1/2" shank boring bars in the future.

bh2.png

I went whole hog and acquired metric and imperial ER32 collets. Where metric will not suit, imperial will and vice-versa. I even went to the point of sourcing the half size metric collets. (0.5 - 1.5 etc) to give as much range as possible and yes, I got collets up to 26mm.
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I understood that the clamping range of the ER collets was pretty wide. That is, the 1/32" sets cover a continuous range between, in my case 1/32" up to 25/32". That should cover Anything in between both English and Metric sizes, unlike R8 or 5C collets, which have a very narrow working range. (ER Being double tapered, squeeze the clamped shaft evenly, no matter how far they are squeezed down.)

In any case, it should be an upgrade. Will eventually buy a back plate and ER32 collet chuck for the lathe. (Hopefully one that's adjustable...)
For now the Bison 5C and collets do most everything, and the collet block and 4 Jaw chuck can fill in the rest.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I understood that the clamping range of the ER collets was pretty wide. That is, the 1/32" sets cover a continuous range between, in my case 1/32" up to 25/32". That should cover Anything in between both English and Metric sizes, unlike R8 or 5C collets, which have a very narrow working range. (ER Being double tapered, squeeze the clamped shaft evenly, no matter how far they are squeezed down.)

In any case, it should be an upgrade. Will eventually buy a back plate and ER32 collet chuck for the lathe. (Hopefully one that's adjustable...)
For now the Bison 5C and collets do most everything, and the collet block and 4 Jaw chuck can fill in the rest.

TBF, I have, on occasions, had to swap from metric to imperial or the other way to get a proper clamping on what I was working with.

If you want to get a faceplate ER32 so you have a through hole bore, go for it, but also consider that if you want to run multiples of the same part, you may need to make up a full-spindle-length bar that acts as a stop.

@coolidge

I was considering the fact that I will be acquiring a mill when I first considered the tapping collets as well as the fact of using the t/stock ER32 collet holder for the lathe since I do a fair amount of tapping on that, as well as using end mills in the ER32.

Last edited:

View attachment 501192

One thing to look for with the collets are chips and swarf in the slots. Make sure you give them a really good clean out.

When my ER32 lathe collet chuck arrived I'd bought a few sizes from eBay and I got a bit too much runout and remembered what Quinn Dexter said and checked the collets and they all had chips and grinding debris in the slots. I gave them a good bath and cleanout with acetone and the measurable runout disappeared.

The square collet block in the four jaw is an interesting idea. Trying to think of any particular downside, but I can't right now. ;)

One thing to look for with the collets are chips and swarf in the slots. Make sure you give them a really good clean out.

When my ER32 lathe collet chuck arrived I'd bought a few sizes from eBay and I got a bit too much runout and remembered what Quinn Dexter said and checked the collets and they all had chips and grinding debris in the slots. I gave them a good bath and cleanout with acetone and the measurable runout disappeared.

The square collet block in the four jaw is an interesting idea. Trying to think of any particular downside, but I can't right now. ;)

The only "down" side is if you use a 4JSC over a 4JIP. With a 4JIP you can dial it in properly, with a 4JSC, you can have a little runout.

Personally, I had an octagonal collet block made, lots of options open up with that, not to mention it sits in a 4J chuck much easier and is more balanced ;)

Where metric will not suit, imperial will and vice-versa
where does metric not work. I wish I had bought the metric set over the imperial. My feeling was I could cover more in between sizes. 1mm being about 40 thou would close down by at least 20 thou I would think would cover the entire range. Where did I go wrong in my thinking.

Back