What Did You Buy Today?

After my late Mom met Diane she pulled me aside and said "She's a keeper." and she was 100% right. Mom had already watched me strike out twice :rolleyes:
In Virginia, Diane had happily let me fill the garage. I promised myself when we moved to Washington she was going to have a place to park out of the rain. Was able to build a garage size shop and the spare bedroom is hers to do as she as she sees fit. Has worked out well. I'm a fortunate fellow.

Sounds like a friend I am seeing tomorrow. Two kids, both moved out. Once they left, he turned one of the rooms into a sewing room for his wife. Mega brownie points for him and he got the "bike room come workshop" that he wanted by using the other, larger bedroom.

A fleet of Raleigh Choppers, lots of storage space, lots of spares, a TV and still room to put down two single "put you up" beds.

Guess where I sleep when I am over that way! Yup, in the bike room. No place I would rather sleep than to be surrounded by the bikes I have a passion for and a history with ;)

Didn't buy it today but got it back from Mitutoyo UK after the repair department were done with it:

IMG-20240830-WA0000.jpeg
It was sealed inside a new little plastic baggie with a bit of anti-corrosion paper.

They even replaced the old cracked and tatty box with a new but period appropriate one with the correct model number:

IMG-20240830-WA0002.jpeg

What did it cost me?

The price of the postage I paid to send it to them. I'm seriously impressed with Wayne and/or Phil in Mitutoyo UKs repair department. Nice guys. :)

Didn't buy it today but got it back from Mitutoyo UK after the repair department were done with it:

View attachment 501405
It was sealed inside a new little plastic baggie with a bit of anti-corrosion paper.

They even replaced the old cracked and tatty box with a new but period appropriate one with the correct model number:

View attachment 501406

What did it cost me?

The price of the postage I paid to send it to them. I'm seriously impressed with Wayne and/or Phil in Mitutoyo UKs repair department. Nice guys. :)

Going to need the info for Mitty UK repair dept. Have a mic I need looking at...

View attachment 501405

View attachment 501406

What did it cost me?

FREE? What was wrong with it?

Interesting to see they included a Renata battery: my clock/watch maker repairman says they suck.

Going to need the info for Mitty UK repair dept. Have a mic I need looking at...
Well now, Wayne and Phil are going to curse me! :grin:

The phone number for the Mitutoyo UK front desk is 01264 353123.

Just give you a heads-up, here's how it all worked for me.

The lady I spoke to was very nice and said that she would email me the form I needed to fill in if I decided to send my mic' in for repair.

She then told me I needed to speak to Wayne or Phil in the repairs department but also that Wayne and Phil would be on their tea break at that point, so asked me to call back in half an hour (no seriously, she actually said that; I thought for a second I'd time travelled back to the 70s :grin:).

SoI half an hour later, I did exactly that and she put me through. They must have been on another call because I went straight through to voicemail. Being unprepared, I left a somewhat garbled message and rang off. Within five minutes Phil called me back and apparently had somehow managed to interpret my answerphone-triggered panicky recording and had the general gist.

A bit more chat and he said to send the mic' in, along with the form the lady at the front desk had emailed me already and they'd see if they had the parts necessary (it's an older model, so that remained to be seen).

He phoned me back on Wednesday so say that he'd popped it in the post and when I asked how much, he said "nothing, since the part used to repair the mic' was old stock for a discontinued model". I'd guess Mitutoyo only make parts for maybe a handful of previous versions.

Anyway, hope that helps some! :oops::grin:

Well now, Wayne and Phil are going to curse me! :grin:

The phone number for the Mitutoyo UK front desk is 01264 353123.

Just give you a heads-up, here's how it all worked for me.

The lady I spoke to was very nice and said that she would email me the form I needed to fill in if I decided to send my mic' in for repair.

She then told me I needed to speak to Wayne or Phil in the repairs department but also that Wayne and Phil would be on their tea break at that point, so asked me to call back in half an hour (no seriously, she actually said that; I thought for a second I'd time travelled back to the 70s :grin:).

SoI half an hour later, I did exactly that and she put me through. They must have been on another call because I went straight through to voicemail. Being unprepared, I left a somewhat garbled message and rang off. Within five minutes Phil called me back and apparently had somehow managed to interpret my answerphone-triggered panicky recording and had the general gist.

A bit more chat and he said to send the mic' in, along with the form the lady at the front desk had emailed me already and they'd see if they had the parts necessary (it's an older model, so that remained to be seen).

He phoned me back on Wednesday so say that he'd popped it in the post and when I asked how much, he said "nothing, since the part used to repair the mic' was old stock for a discontinued model". I'd guess Mitutoyo only make parts for maybe a handful of previous versions.

Anyway, hope that helps some! :oops::grin:

Thanks, thats helpful.

Now, where did I see that printer for sale?

I have two similar vintage Mitutoyo mic heads on a measuring microscope. They're looking a little bit worse for wear. I wonder if Mit has a US repair facility similar to yours... hmmmm.
I believe YouTube Mr. Pete posted a visit to it.

FREE? What was wrong with it?

Interesting to see they included a Renata battery: my clock/watch maker repairman says they suck.
I bought it for some piffling amount (I have the figure £30 in my head but that could be wrong) as it was "For parts or not working". The seller had a video of the display intermittently and somewhat randomly changing when the thimble was turned.

When it arrived it was in bits (I suppose the video was taken before the attempt to diagnose and then reassemble was made). Three bits, to be precise. The body with the sleeve still attached; the thimble and shaft; and finally the display/board.

All the teensy screws were in a separate little ziplock bag and were all present and correct.

I took a look and figured that the person who'd taken it apart had overestimated their abilities and decided I wasn't about to make the same mistake. So I gave Mitutoyo a bell and the rest is history.

Apparently one of of the mechanical parts in the encoder had been damaged and it was an easy fix. Oh and Phil also mentioned that the anvil and spindle were a bit misaligned, so fixed that too.

Oh, the Renate battery was mine. The chaps at Mitutoyo seemed to have just ignored it and used a new one of their own. :oops::grin:

Back