G0709 Review

I stuck my collets in a 72-hole rack that's bolted to the lid of a US General cart. The lid is fixed with angle iron; I pulled the gas cylinders. The rack is mounted with the 8-hole edge running vertically; it's a 1/64" set of collets. I labeled the appropriate rows "1/16" and "1/8"; it's quicker for me to scan a row of "1/8" to grab a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc. collet.

1726406062870.png

Don't forget a stop to keep you from smacking the tailstock base into your nice work in the Y axis!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Don't forget a stop to keep you from smacking the tailstock base into your nice work in the Y axis!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Good point. Here's what I did for mine:

1726406952617.png

I put mine on the tailstock side which covered the carriage lock screw. My workaround is a clamp that attaches to the follower rest holes on the headstock side.

In Coolidge's case, he's got the scale on the headstock side. I believe he left access to the follow rest holes and could put a stop on one of those holes.

I stuck my collets in a 72-hole rack that's bolted to the lid of a US General cart. The lid is fixed with angle iron; I pulled the gas cylinders. The rack is mounted with the 8-hole edge running vertically; it's a 1/64" set of collets. I labeled the appropriate rows "1/16" and "1/8"; it's quicker for me to scan a row of "1/8" to grab a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc. collet.

View attachment 502728
Nice solution but here in the WA rain forest I need to keep the tooling in a chest otherwise it rusts. Fighting rust is a constant battle, I should get smart and install a mini-split.

I believe he left access to the follow rest holes and could put a stop on one of those holes.
No need, if I move the carriage all the way to the headstock until it stops there's still 1.5 inches plus of air space in front of the Y axis scale. Nothing for it to run into, one of the reasons I installed on the headstock side. :eagerness:

Nice solution but here in the WA rain forest I need to keep the tooling in a chest otherwise it rusts. Fighting rust is a constant battle, I should get smart and install a mini-split.
Speaking of which. Attach 1 or 2 "oil pan heaters" to your lathe - one on the headstock and one toward the tailstock end. 85-100W oughtta do it. Keeps the tool just a few degrees above ambient so when the temp drops, condensation doesn't form on the machine. When I lived in Oregon that was the one thing I did that made the biggest difference.

GsT

Speaking of which. Attach 1 or 2 "oil pan heaters" to your lathe - one on the headstock and one toward the tailstock end. 85-100W oughtta do it. Keeps the tool just a few degrees above ambient so when the temp drops, condensation doesn't form on the machine. When I lived in Oregon that was the one thing I did that made the biggest difference.

GsT
Gene that is an outstanding idea thanks! At least it's something beyond just trying to keep everything slathered in oil. Gene for the win everyone!

Back