G0709 Review

Reviewing the @wachuko G0709 thread again I see that I'm slowly copying all his mods :eagerness: I don't know about that taper attachment, it's well over $600 now.

Reviewing the @wachuko G0709 thread again I see that I'm slowly copying all his mods :eagerness: I don't know about that taper attachment, it's well over $600 now.
It never arrived complete... had to return the pieces that got here. So yeah, I will not be installing it unless I can drive to their store to pick it up... :confused:

I need you to get your lathe dirty... so I can stop feeling bad for mine still being dirty from when I bought it :p:D:D

I need you to get your lathe dirty... so I can stop feeling bad for mine still being dirty from when I bought it :p:D:D
Not going to happen, to infinity. lol

On this topic I'm in the process of permanently removing the coolant tank, pump and wiring at present. It's already a filth tank from shipping oil dripping in there. It will go on a shelf in the event the lathe is ever sold.

So I can repurpose the coolant on/off switch on the lathe for something 110v, I'll have to think on that.

Coolant tank, pump and wiring removed. That was easy, even fished the cable out without having to cut off any connectors. Also removed the little ramp under the chip pan that directed sludge into the coolant tank. I'll put a 1 gallon bucket under the chip pan drain pipe to catch any drippings. So much easier to clean vs encased inside the tailstock cabinet.

Started the DRO install - MagXact Magnetic MX-200L 2 Axis Lathe

Here's the first bracket that attaches to the end of the lathe cross slide for the Z scale read head...wait, did you guys drill and tap drunk? Never drill and tap drunk. ;) (shakes head, face palms)

ml54.jpg

I flipped this bracket over and centered everything so the attaching bracket would fit between the larger bolts. I had to hog out the original bolt holes as the bolts in the end of the G0709 cross slide are M8. I'm using these 50mm M8 through bolts instead of the supplied smaller bolts. I drilled and tapped the two smaller holes 1/4-20.

ml55.jpg

DRO Z scaled installed. I went with 5/16-18 2 inch long set screws. Drilled and tapped the bed for them. The surface of the bed casting was rock hard, a new cobalt drill bit bounced off. :oops: I had to use a carbide drill bit. You could hear it struggling past the surface hardness then became easier to drill.

ml56.jpg

Added a 1/4-20 set screw on top to make adjusting the height easy. I'll remove them now that it's bolted on and use those tapped holes for the top cover.

ml57.jpg

I'm installing the DRO Y axis on the chuck side of the cross slide. :eek 2: :eek 2::eek 2: lol Yes but this eliminates all the drawbacks and hassle of installing it on the tailstock side which is the norm.

Tomorrow I'll make the simple bracket, 2 slots and 2 drilled/tapped screw holes, done!

ml58.jpg

Finished the Z axis today by installing the scale cover. First I made some simple mounting blocks.

ml59.jpg

Buttoned up ready for action.

ml60.jpg

Plenty of clearance. The cover is nice and sturdy, .080 inch thick or so.

ml61.jpg

Y axis read head bracket complete. This fits where the steady rest bolts on. When I need the steady rest I'll add longer bolts, a couple spacers and bolt it on over this.

ml62.jpg

Back