G0709 Review

The lathe arrived from the factory with chipped paint everywhere. This has started to get on my nerves so while I was waiting for a McMaster-Carr order I got the thread dial sanded and re-painted.

The original, no paint on the top and paint chipped down the side.

View attachment 503086

After, painted and baked in the oven. Kind of good that I took this apart to paint because it was gunked up with brass chips and sludge.

View attachment 503087

Reinstalled. I disliked the copper indicator so I have a stainless inbound. Note the color difference, that's the closest I could get to Grizzly's off white. Someone called it 'putty' which is a good description. Thank god it's not the old Grizzly cream color which I found horrid. The color is a closer match, the digital camera made the Grizzly color look darker and the white whiter.

View attachment 503088
That's it i'm blind now, are you happy!
nice work, nice lathe

Well, now you've opened the can of worms, I've got to look over my lathe (LOL)! My X-axis scale went kaput after 8 years, I just stuck on a new one from TPactools.com ($110). I had the scale cable secured to the chip pan side of the taper attachment which is tough to access with the chip pan in place. So, I'm going to pull the pan and will do your mods once I get access. Thanks for all of the great info and improvements!

Another mod to consider is adding a couple of additional tick marks to your compound (thread below). It's not necessary, it was just a case of my OCD. My Clausing has tick marks for a full 360 while the Grizzly only had 120.

So many times I had wanted to pull the backsplash off in the past but didn't just because it was a pain, no longer!

Back