Stiffness of Spindle Extending on PM-935TV

I'm concerned that the wet-or-dry SC 220 will leave sharp peaks in the surface texture and the peaks will wear away (relatively) quickly leaving the quill under your target dimension. If it's not too late, how about getting the OD down to within a tenth, then switch to 1000 grit to smooth some peaks for the last tenth.

As you suggested earlier, it doesn't make sense that the quill was mushroomed by the drop. I'm wondering if you tried the quill full range of extension before the drop. I suspect the taper in the quill OD is most likely a manufacturing defect rather than drop damage.
I tried the 220 with water/soap, and it cut much faster. Problem the sandpaper/thin glue was too compliant, and it removed a uniform layer from spindle and the groove peaks alike. Now the quill is at target, but peaks still 3 tenths over. So, a more rigid abrasion technique is needed. I took a Skil saw with diamond blade, plate with slot for blade, and 2 guides to radius a sharpening stone (classic Norton, coarse and fine), cut a 2" chunk off it. Radius was surprisingly close to the quill OD. Now, probably hours of hand work...WD40 lube I guess. Red arrow points to diamond blade.

Attachments

• DSCN4347_LR.jpg
    DSCN4347_LR.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4354_LR.jpg
    DSCN4354_LR.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN4359.JPG
    DSCN4359.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4365.JPG
    DSCN4365.JPG