What Did You Buy Today?

On the way to collecting enough keyless chucks. The small Albrecht showed up today. Dropped the arbor in the freezer and warmed the chuck up a little on the stove then snapped them together. This one is new in the box, and is super clean.

View attachment 504989

It's a little longer than the Jacobs offerings, so on tight setups those may get pulled out. But for quick changes between spotting drill, tap drill, and tap this should be faster. I run a lot of 3/8 tools where I can. 3/8 end mills, 3/8 edge finder, and chucks on 3/8 arbors. Saves on swapping collets in the mill.
View attachment 504988
Nice chuck.

I cut my chuck shanks down to about 40-50% of that length (for the mill). The R8 doesn't have enough grip length to make the long shank more secure. I want the chuck quite close to the collet nose for the sake of minimizing runout. The long shanks require too much (IMO) Z clearance to swap tools. YMMV

On the way to collecting enough keyless chucks. The small Albrecht showed up today. Dropped the arbor in the freezer and warmed the chuck up a little on the stove then snapped them together. This one is new in the box, and is super clean.

View attachment 504989

It's a little longer than the Jacobs offerings, so on tight setups those may get pulled out. But for quick changes between spotting drill, tap drill, and tap this should be faster. I run a lot of 3/8 tools where I can. 3/8 end mills, 3/8 edge finder, and chucks on 3/8 arbors. Saves on swapping collets in the mill.
View attachment 504988
wow, $$$$$
why are your arbors so long?

Nice chuck.

I cut my chuck shanks down to about 40-50% of that length (for the mill). The R8 doesn't have enough grip length to make the long shank more secure. I want the chuck quite close to the collet nose for the sake of minimizing runout. The long shanks require too much (IMO) Z clearance to swap tools. YMMV
Have thought about trimming them, but so far have not. I've used them as an extension in hand drills to reach hard to reach locations with small bits. But this Albrecht is less likely to be used like that, so might trim it.

This size Albrecht list on line at around $850! I couldn't pass this one up...

Back