What Did You Buy Today?

damn, just like a box knurler I didn't know it was a cut knurler or how it differed.
I have 2 sets of sharp edged knurls , maybe I'll make a holder for using one of each to check it out.

It uses the square edges of the knurl (a special knurl) to cut chips, rather than just smash them into the material.

It's a machining operation that makes a chip, rather than a forming operation.

Edit: Here is a longer one.
I think that's a cut knurler. Different beast from what we're used to.

Broke down and snagged an Albrecht chuck. Small 1/32"-1/4", stainless steel. We'll see how that works out. It's supposed to be new in the box, for A LOT less than McMaster lists them for. I had an extra arbor sitting in the box that will fit it, which was the deciding factor on this purchase.

Ok, so what and how does a cut knurler work compared to a bump.

Learned something new!

damn, just like a box knurler I didn't know it was a cut knurler or how it differed.
I have 2 sets of sharp edged knurls , maybe I'll make a holder for using one of each to check it out.
I think with a surface grinder you could convert normal knurls into cut knurls. Just a sharp edge.

I haven't looked into making one, but I think the trick is to get the angles correct. Make it adjustable , it shouldn't be too hard to line up...

I was just going to ask, what that dual center sine table thing is for...Looks almost exactly like what I need to grind small shafts between centers! LOL

Yeah, I'm not entirely certain. It appears made for a mag table as there's no provision for bolting it down to anything.
That is for checking tapers on shafts either ground or turned . Set jo blocks to correct angle , use this on a surface plate with surface gage and indicator . If angle is off , adjust grinder table or taper attachment to suit . These were used years ago before optical comparaters were out , but still a nice accurate way to check tapers .

Grabbed a Sjogren 5C chuck off OWWM...

Screenshot_20241004_210601_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20241004_210904_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20241004_210622_Chrome.jpg

It has some light surface rust, but seems to work good. I'll see how well it cleans up.

I haven't decided whether to machine a backplate to fit this to my South Bend or one of the Hendeys...

Probably the SB... I already have a threaded backplate I can use... and the Hendeys already have a 3H collet system that goes directly into the spindle.

-Bear

Back