What Did You Buy Today?

One thing I like about telescoping gauges is that it's easy to measure oval bores by taking samples at various angles in the bore. A three-point gauge might miss anomalies in roundness, it seems to me. For engine bores and bearing journals, I'm mostly measuring to see if something needs to be machined or replaced, or if it's within spec and can be reused. Given that most wear patterns create an oval shape, it seems to me important to measure it.

For checking the dimensions of fresh machining, a good three-point gauge like the fancy Mitu (and the SPI pictured above seems to be similar) is fast and convenient.

Rick "speed costs" Denney
In A&P school, and Auto Shop IIRC, we were taught to do three measurements at top, middle and bottom. All the engines were donated, the instructor had seen the measurements for years, and had a pretty good idea if we were doing it right. Mr. Barber was a great instructor.

My 66 bronco came with factory vacuum wipers run off the fuel pump.

Also a bonus theft prevention device, called a 3 on the tree that required soft precision shifts . Anything else would lock you up. Finesse of nothing. Loved it.
my dad had a 67 bronco with the 3 on the tree and the vacuum wipers. 289 V8. thing would go anywhere. would rattle quite a bit though and was prone to rusting out in a few areas, esp where the top bolted to the body.

Dang, now I do feel old for forgetting I drove a '49 1/2 ton 3 window. LOL, more rare because people kept the 5 window models. Had the old 216 splash oil for the crank. Which an idiot 17 yo managed to kill trying to drive 60 in LA. Young and dumb . . . or at least very ignorant.
The 48 Chevy wasn’t the first truck I owned. The first was a1937 Ford 1/2 ton with a 65 hp V8. I paid a whole $15.00 for it. Next came a 1951 Chevy 1 ton (3800) with a 10’ box. It was my favorite, but too big to get into the garage. I hated having to scrape the windows every morning before driving to work.

my dad had a 67 bronco with the 3 on the tree and the vacuum wipers. 289 V8. thing would go anywhere. would rattle quite a bit though and was prone to rusting out in a few areas, esp where the top bolted to the body.
They were rusting when they left the factory. Surprised that isn't a normal rust area like some other areas.

Out of all my broncos the 66 had the best body. It spent most of its life as a daily driver for a guy that worked in the sawmill before they started using mag chloride on the roads.

So, some pics of items I’ve bought in anticipation of the Bridgeport arrival.

End mills: A set of HTS 2-flute double-ended HSS end mills from McM. These range from 1/8 to 1/2”. A pair of 4-flute carbide mills for tough stuff, German-made Gurhing. These are all center-cutting. These square-cut carbide mills accompany a set of 7 ATS corner-radius carbide mills bought from a forum member here a while back. The 1/2” 4-flute mills are from an eBay seller—four are Niagara 17/32 double-ended non-center-cutting, and the last is a .492 Weldon.

IMG_0518-dsqz.JPG

Here is a good Blake coaxial indicator:

IMG_0520-dsqz.JPG

And a Te-Co clamp set:

IMG_0519-dsqz.JPG

Rick “to add to the craptastic import mills already here” Denney

The 48 Chevy wasn’t the first truck I owned. The first was a1937 Ford 1/2 ton with a 65 hp V8. I paid a whole $15.00 for it. Next came a 1951 Chevy 1 ton (3800) with a 10’ box. It was my favorite, but too big to get into the garage. I hated having to scrape the windows every morning before driving to work.
I had a 53 Chevy PU when I bought the 46. put the 230 6 cyl from the 53 in the 46. the 46 also had the awful oleo swingarm "shock absorbers". I cut the shock mounts off the frame of the 53 and welded them to the 46, then swapped both axles. this gave the 46 a much wider stance and a better ride. that 230 6 cyl idled so smooth that you could be standing next to the truck couldn't hear it. the steel was so thick on them both that you could pound on the fenders with your fist as hard as you could, and they wouldn't dent. being rounded also helped I suppose. sometime after the picture above was taken, I painted the 46 Corvette Sunfire Yellow. when I was prepping for the paint job, I found a few small spots that had lead body filler. had never seen that before or since.

bet you wish you had that now.
I wake up in cold sweats over my 67 Camaro SS w/ hidden headlights and a rag top... Wish I still had that.
HS buddy had the SS hard top, 4 speed. I tried to tell him he should never sell it. Two weeks after he did, to a 16 yo, kid wrapped it around a phone pole. Even though it was a GTA, sure wish I had ended up with my Dad's '67 Mustang.

...The first was a1937 Ford 1/2 ton with a 65 hp V8...
This talk of old trucks has me thinking about another project I bought about year ago. Picked up a '37 dodge truck. Kind of a cobble together project truck, new modern rear end with disc brakes, modern front end under it. Found the 300 inline six and mating 5 speed gearbox for it now. Just need to get started on it! lol.

Weird thing about the '37, is it's actually a '35. As best I can find, it was made in late' 35, but wasn't titled until '37. Apparently not too uncommon during the great depression years. The original title is with the truck...

Back