What Did You Buy Today?

It wasn't all today -
I bought a pos milling vise at an auction a couple months ago. It had been carved into, milled, drilled and savaged. But it is still a Kurt..
I cleaned, wire brushed and painted it since then.
Meanwhile, a man needs to clean his shop now and then.
And sometimes as he's sitting there looking around his mind starts organizing things.
This vise has been laying around in a couple different places since I reassembled it..
Time to find it a place.
Then I remembered the post I made here and looked at the milling stand and saw the place it could go - if it fits.
And it did fit.
Nicely.
And then I remembered a Kurt speed handle I got somewhere a few years ago and saved but could never use.
And That Fit!
So I'm happy as a clam about it all.
Like I would be with new tool and not an abused, pos vise - and a shop that still needs to be cleaned.
Jerry

Attachments

• 87202418476.jpg
    87202418476.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 872024184733.jpg
    872024184733.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 87202418483.jpg
    87202418483.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Normal weekend procedure for myself and a couple friends is to walk the local flea mkt, then walk next door to our favorite watering hole for refreshments. Today was no different. One of my friends bought 3 shirts. I, on the other hand, was rummaging through a large plastic container and came up with this Starrett 91b tap handle, for the pleasing sum of $2. Yay! It matches the Starrett 91a That I found about a month ago for $5., I think. Even better, while enjoying refreshments at the watering hole a couple came in, I haven't know them long. After 1st meeting them a few months ago, the husband asked if I'd be interested in some reloading stuff he inherited, sure, let me know. Nothing more had been said about it, but today he said "come on by and get the reloading stuff, I'll never use it, you can have it". Imagine my surprise seeing what was in the box. Dillon Square deal press, set up for 4 calibers- .357, 44 mag, .308, .458 (Redding dies!). Lyman scales, case trimmer, and case tumbler. RCBS bullet luber. About 1/2 full can of Winchester 296 powder, and 2 boxes of 1000 large pistol primers. Oh, and one mould for casting .357 bullets. Appears only 1 caliber has ever been set up to use, the .44 mag, and other stuff is still new in box. I haven't reloaded, or kept up with prices in a "long" time. I'm thinking the press was around 1/2 the current price and the primers - Wow! seems the price has tripled on those. I'll be going back to their house to give some money - that's just too much value to not give them something.

Attachments

• starrett 91b.jpg
    starrett 91b.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 31
  • reload stuff.jpg
    reload stuff.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 30
Normal weekend procedure for myself and a couple friends is to walk the local flea mkt, then walk next door to our favorite watering hole for refreshments. Today was no different. One of my friends bought 3 shirts. I, on the other hand, was rummaging through a large plastic container and came up with this Starrett 91b tap handle, for the pleasing sum of $2. Yay! It matches the Starrett 91a That I found about a month ago for $5., I think. Even better, while enjoying refreshments at the watering hole a couple came in, I haven't know them long. After 1st meeting them a few months ago, the husband asked if I'd be interested in some reloading stuff he inherited, sure, let me know. Nothing more had been said about it, but today he said "come on by and get the reloading stuff, I'll never use it, you can have it". Imagine my surprise seeing what was in the box. Dillon Square deal press, set up for 4 calibers- .357, 44 mag, .308, .458 (Redding dies!). Lyman scales, case trimmer, and case tumbler. RCBS bullet luber. About 1/2 full can of Winchester 296 powder, and 2 boxes of 1000 large pistol primers. Oh, and one mould for casting .357 bullets. Appears only 1 caliber has ever been set up to use, the .44 mag, and other stuff is still new in box. I haven't reloaded, or kept up with prices in a "long" time. I'm thinking the press was around 1/2 the current price and the primers - Wow! seems the price has tripled on those. I'll be going back to their house to give some money - that's just too much value to not give them something.
Good on you to offer money for this windfall! Great reason to start reloading again.

2 boxes of XXL nitrile gloves. Shockingly they dropped $10 a box in price from the Covid price gouging, even the checkout guy was stunned. :oops:

a bunch of mouse traps... They destroyed my shop towels and gloves this past week. I was painting in the garage two weeks ago, and they ate a lot of paper goods, and crapped all over the top of my workbench and tool box. I HATE MICE.. Destructive little b a s t a r d s.

Not exactly shop related...yet.

1725825520513.png

I bought this charging station for my iPhone and watch. It is nice but has some drawbacks. I am thinking about building something like this as my next project. Has anyone else tackled something like this?

a bunch of mouse traps... They destroyed my shop towels and gloves this past week. I was painting in the garage two weeks ago, and they ate a lot of paper goods, and crapped all over the top of my workbench and tool box. I HATE MICE.. Destructive little b a s t a r d s.

I’m afraid I have bad news: mice don’t eat paper products, they shred them up and carry the shreds off to use as bedding for their babies.

More bad news: my pest guy tells me that rodents can squeeze themselves to gaps as small as 1/4” (apparently their skulls are flexible or something). Best thing to do is “caulk” (like they caulked ship planking with oakum) gaps around pipes, siding, etc. with steel wool.

Oh, and they’ll run through those open garage doors faster than you can see.

Ran into a situation where I needed 13” of precision measurement and my 12” Etalon vernier caliper wasn’t enough. So I have kept a lookout for a 24” vernier caliper. But of course it had to be a unique buying opportunity. Scored this:

IMG_0440-dsqz.jpeg

IMG_0441-dsqz.jpeg

IMG_0442-dsqz.jpeg

CSE stands for Carl Stiefelmayer Essingen, which has been making precision measuring equipment since 1874. This is the high-precision model, according to this undated US catalog that looks to be from the 60’s:

IMG_0443-dsqz.jpeg

..a No. 3 model H, though with both inside and outside scales. In addition to accuracy, they are fully hardened, not just with hardened jaws like the standard models. I like the 0.050” vernier scale.

But nobody has heard of CSE so the price was a fraction of a Starrett of similar length, and only a bit more than modern Chinese models that don’t read both inside and outside measurements directly as these do.

Rick “can’t have enough calipers” Denney

Last edited:
Back