What Did You Buy Today?

I got tired of running my dehumidifier 24/7 to keep my shop below 50% humidity (mostly to keep tools from rusting) and still be hot.
This 24,000 btu mini-split should solve that "problem". The shop is 1200 sq ft with 12 foot ceilings and very well insulated. Of course as soon as I installed it the outside temps dropped to very comfortable levels. But the test will come next week when they will be back in the 90's with humidity to match. I'm confident that it will do the job.
Tom

Lonve mine!

The plane carries around 75oz.
With this engine having 30 lbs of thrust in a 15 lb air frame, it is rare that I will be over 1/2 throttle. The only time I will need full throttle is for a few HIGH speed passes or accelerating straight up. It should be good for 8 to 10 minutes of flight time.

How much will the plane weigh loaded?

The plane carries around 75oz.
With this engine having 30 lbs of thrust in a 15 lb air frame, it is rare that I will be over 1/2 throttle. The only time I will need full throttle is for a few HIGH speed passes or accelerating straight up. It should be good for 8 to 10 minutes of flight time.

In my 40 + years of flying, 8-10 minutes of flying tank capacity is pretty much the norm. Or rather 8-10 minutes plus a buffer.

The airplane is an Acro Sport 2, designed by EAA founder Paul Poberezny. One of life's regrets is that I probably won't finish it and it's so close...
It only needs fabric and paint. All systems are done, O-360a1d overhauled to zero-time specs, full inverted oil & fuel, full canopy, etc. It's completely assembled and sitting in the middle of my shop. Machine tools are placed all around it and I'm out of room. Life is so short.

Time will tell if I sized the mini-split right at 24,000 btu. I'm aware of the consequences of going over or under. The calculators were showing 30,000 to 36,000 as the "proper" requirements. The temps have been very moderate reaching highs around 78 and lows in the 50's since I got it running so it hasn't been stressed yet. I've found that I will need the dehumidifier in this weather or the shop will be too cold. More normal temps in the 90's return next week for a better test.

I have a ceiling fan that ran nonstop for 29 years to circulate the air. However it locked up a couple years ago. I need to build a scaffolds to get to it as it sets above the middle of the airplane. One of these days...

Hope I haven't missed any questions asked above.
Tom

Time will tell if I sized the mini-split right at 24,000 btu. I'm aware of the consequences of going over or under. The calculators were showing 30,000 to 36,000 as the "proper" requirements. The temps have been very moderate reaching highs around 78 and lows in the 50's since I got it running so it hasn't been stressed yet. I've found that I will need the dehumidifier in this weather or the shop will be too cold. More normal temps in the 90's return next week for a better test.

I have a ceiling fan that ran nonstop for 29 years to circulate the air. However it locked up a couple years ago. I need to build a scaffolds to get to it as it sets above the middle of the airplane. One of these days...

Hope I haven't missed any questions asked above.
Tom
30-36000 BTU sounds like an overkill for a well insulated 1200 sq ft shop, I think you'll be fine with 24000. I'm a bit south of you in SW Indiana. 2200 sq ft shop w/ 12' ceilings and a 24000 BTU mini split for the bulk of the shop, and a 9000 BTU for the office part of the shop (about 140 sq ft). I generally cool my shop to only 80 degrees but the 24000 works well. Wood in the winter for supplemental heat, as you know the mini-splits start getting costly when the temps get down below freezing.

Not looking forward to the return of hot weather next week, this cool spell has been great for outdoor work. Wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of the homebuilt. No skin means easier to see details.

30-36000 BTU sounds like an overkill for a well insulated 1200 sq ft shop, I think you'll be fine with 24000. I'm a bit south of you in SW Indiana. 2200 sq ft shop w/ 12' ceilings and a 24000 BTU mini split for the bulk of the shop, and a 9000 BTU for the office part of the shop (about 140 sq ft). I generally cool my shop to only 80 degrees but the 24000 works well. Wood in the winter for supplemental heat, as you know the mini-splits start getting costly when the temps get down below freezing.

Not looking forward to the return of hot weather next week, this cool spell has been great for outdoor work. Wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of the homebuilt. No skin means easier to see details.
I always heard a rule of thumb was 12000 BTU per 500 sq/ft and most rules of thumbs are fairly conservative, so I suspect you will be comfortable.

Back