What Did You Buy Today?

Finally pulled the trigger on an ER32 collet set, and an R8 holder. There’s also a straight shank holder not in the picture. Had some issues with Z axis clearance using the drill chuck in my PM25, so I went ahead and purchased.

Then some rotary table supplies. View attachment 499859
Okay but who has found a 40mm ER32 collet wrench that's not gigantic? My R8 ER32 holder has a flat on it but only came with a spanner wrench for the nut.

Okay but who has found a 40mm ER32 collet wrench that's not gigantic? My R8 ER32 holder has a flat on it but only came with a spanner wrench for the nut.

Do you own a lathe or mill?
can you acquire a piece of steel bar stock?
can you use a boring head to create a 40mm opening slot in a piece of steel bar stock?

If you can, MAKE a spanner to fit.

Finally acquired the Jet turbine engine for the airplane posted back in post #13141

The specs on this puppy are;
  • Thrust: 13.26 kg (30 lbs) @ 130,000 RPM
  • Idle Thrust: 0.43 kg (0.94 lbs)
  • RPM Range: 55,000 – 130,000
  • Weight: 1.29 kg (2.84 lbs) with starter
  • Diameter: 99 mm (3.90 in)
  • Length: 227.00 mm (8.94 in) with a starter
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature: 500º C – 700º C (932ª F – 1292ª F)
  • Fuel Consumption: 0.43 lt/min (15.13 oz/min)

Lynx 130.JPG

The plane carries around 75oz.
With this engine having 30 lbs of thrust in a 15 lb air frame, it is rare that I will be over 1/2 throttle. The only time I will need full throttle is for a few HIGH speed passes or accelerating straight up. It should be good for 8 to 10 minutes of flight time.

I use a crescent wrench for my holder. I modified the wrench teeth to allow just a little more opening on my wrench, rather than jump up in size.

You could design a wrench in CAD and have a service like sendcutsend make it. I did that for a hook spanner. Then it can be any special shape you want. Took under one week, from beginning of design to receiving the parts. That's better than searching endlessly for the perfect wrench that no one makes! Under $30 for two wrenches cut from 4130 chrome molly, cheaper for mild steel.

I use a crescent wrench for my holder. I modified the wrench teeth to allow just a little more opening on my wrench, rather than jump up in size.
Yeah my favorite crescent just barely won't open far enough so I have to use my giant tractor crescent wrench. Ordered a 40mm open end wrench online God its bigger than the tractor wrench. I'm thinking about just cutting off the box end.

Wouldn't the brake on your mill hold well enough? It does for your R8.
On my lathe ER40 chuck I just use a 6" tommy bar.

Finally pulled the trigger on an ER32 collet set, and an R8 holder. There’s also a straight shank holder not in the picture. Had some issues with Z axis clearance using the drill chuck in my PM25, so I went ahead and purchased.

Then some rotary table supplies. View attachment 499859
Excellent tools, you might also consider buying a good quality set of R8 collets which will give you additional Z-axis clearance.

Back