What Did You Buy Today?

Popped out to see a model engineer chappie this evening (his garden had a small gauge track running round it) and bought these:

20240813_182645.jpg
20240813_182227.jpg
20240813_182955.jpg
20240813_181950.jpg

The roller gauges are Hoffman, the straight edges are Moore and Wright.

The keyway cutter and the adjustable scriber are shop made. The keyway cutter's body was cast by the maker. It's a beautiful job; came with the drawings and the makers notes.

Paid £70. Probably too much in terms of how much use I'll make of them but eh, nice old fella.

One question I have is about the black glass bar that came with the straight edge set. What's it for? :grin:

Last edited:
Picked up some steel to finish up a project.

And found an old Noga holder with DTI, a wood working vise, and an adorable arbor press. All for $30 (USD). The arbor press is an homemade tool, but of exceptional quality.

It's taking an evaporation bath tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 22
Picked up some steel to finish up a project.

And found an old Noga holder with DTI, a wood working vise, and an adorable arbor press. All for $30 (USD). The arbor press is an homemade tool, but of exceptional quality.

It's taking an evaporation bath tonight.
It looks like a jewelry arbor press. nice.
That's a good price for all of that.

I think you should ask Grizzly to provide detailed photos of the damage so you can decide if it's "only the lathe leveling feet:" depending on what UPS did, there could be other damage that the warehouse crew don't know about and it will be a pain if you need to ship it back. I think James (Clough42) went through two surface grinder shipping accidents before he got a usable one.
No the leveling feet shipped UPS in a separate box. The lathe is coming in freight, hence the confusing voicemail from Grizzly's 'freight' dept. In related news how does UPS damage leveling feet? :confused: Update: The lathe arrives in 48 hours

No the leveling feet shipped UPS in a separate box. The lathe is coming in freight, hence the confusing voicemail from Grizzly's 'freight' dept. In related news how does UPS damage leveling feet? :confused: Update: The lathe arrives in 48 hours

Dropping them from a great height, dropping stuff on them, then driving a tractor-trailer over them seems about the usual method to damage parcels and the contents these days.

48 hours until "NEW MACHINE DAY! YAY!!!"..... Is the champagne on ice ready to pop the cork when it arrives? or are you just going to crack a beer open??

I often wonder what UPS drivers &/or depot employees use to stand on when they don’t have one of my packages.
I just shipped a $900 60lb rotary table UPS. Bait and Switch company tried to pull a fast one so I returned it. Naturally UPS lost the thing only a few miles from it's return destination. How do you lose a lump of cast iron like that?

I just shipped a $900 60lb rotary table UPS. Bait and Switch company tried to pull a fast one so I returned it. Naturally UPS lost the thing only a few miles from it's return destination. How do you lose a lump of cast iron like that?

Easily when it grows legs and walks home to an employees residence.

Back