What Did You Buy Today?

Like some others, I had read in Guy Lautard's The Machinist's Bedside Reader about chalking files. After reading several opinion pieces I realized that "chalk" has a lot of colloquialisms including calling soapstone used for oxy/acetylene cutting. So I started research on Wikipedia and learned there are several minerals and mixtures sold as "chalk." With that information I went shopping.

View attachment 499567
Can't find where I purchased mine, but bought it as "Railroad Chalk" per Guy's recommendation ages ago:
20240812 Railroad Chalk for Files.jpeg
May have been from Brownells (which it looks like where you got yours). Amazon has it from a number of sellers for a lot less than $1 per piece, but I'll never use up 6 pcs, much less 144! I usually only use it on larger files when taking off a lot of material, not when I'm just deburring an edge.

I bought a G0709 lathe and leveling feet, ouch!
That's a sexy bike. Gold wing right?
They must have a low center of gravity. I see old farts riding them around with no effort at stops.
I rode a BMW R1200RT. Great road bike but not much for touring.

Can't find where I purchased mine, but bought it as "Railroad Chalk" per Guy's recommendation ages ago:
View attachment 499589
May have been from Brownells (which it looks like where you got yours). Amazon has it from a number of sellers for a lot less than $1 per piece, but I'll never use up 6 pcs, much less 144! I usually only use it on larger files when taking off a lot of material, not when I'm just deburring an edge.
"Winner, winner chicken dinner." (there was a smiley face here).

Same here, I would never use up a gross, most would be given away. Brownells was the only source, and I ordered based on their reputation, not from asking them for the chemical makeup, that gives any indication their chalk is made up of a material that will provide the expected quality. Have never tried it, so I don't have any experience for comparison.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Grizzly freight dept called this morning...UPS notified them it was damaged in transit and they are returning it to Grizzly. Mind you I'm only 4 hours away from Grizzly's warehouse. After several stress filled minutes on the phone with Grizzly the lady up and says...oh it's only the lathe leveling feet that got damaged. :D PHEW!!

Grizzly freight dept called this morning...UPS notified them it was damaged in transit and they are returning it to Grizzly. Mind you I'm only 4 hours away from Grizzly's warehouse. After several stress filled minutes on the phone with Grizzly the lady up and says...oh it's only the lathe leveling feet that got damaged. :D PHEW!!
I think you should ask Grizzly to provide detailed photos of the damage so you can decide if it's "only the lathe leveling feet:" depending on what UPS did, there could be other damage that the warehouse crew don't know about and it will be a pain if you need to ship it back. I think James (Clough42) went through two surface grinder shipping accidents before he got a usable one.

Back