What Did You Buy Today?

Couldn’t resist. Probably a rough Chinese ripoff, but of a coveted Dake 1-1/2b 18”-travel 3-ton ratcheting arbor press, a real example of which costs at least twice as much in dilapidated condition. (Edit—not as much travel as a ’b’—but enough for a 11” broach.) This one is open-box new, which means some purist probably rejected it :)

View attachment 477582

Rick “will make the necessary improvements” Denney
The press arrived. Typical rough Chinese castings and fit, but it’s got an important extra 1-1/2” of working height compared to the standard Dake No. 1-1/2.

IMG_1317-dsqz.JPG

I spent a good couple of hours going over it with a file and taking parts to the belt sander for deburring. That made it a lot easier to handle without blood loss, at least. This picture shows the easing of the corners of the daisy wheel.

IMG_1318-dsqz.JPG

The front bearing plate has an inserted piece of sheet steel to act as a wear plate.

IMG_1316-dsqz.JPG

To that, I added .020 brass shim stock to provide a smoother wear plate.

IMG_1319-dsqz.JPG

I then oiled it and adjusted the gib screws. I left it with just enough tension to remain in place when I raise it using the hand wheel, but can lower it with my finger on top of the ram. That gives it about 1/32” of wiggle at the bottom of the stroke.

IMG_1320-dsqz.JPG

IMG_1321-dsqz.JPG

Beyond that, it just works. Can I get 3 tons of press force? With 20:1 mechanical advantage, it would take 300 pounds on the end of the handle. I weigh 200, so, no, not without a cheater pipe. But I think it will meet my needs.

Rick “now to find a place to mount it” Denney

Last edited:
The press arrived. Typical rough Chinese castings and fit, but it’s got an important extra 1-1/2” of working height compared to the standard Dake No. 1-1/2.

IMG_1317-dsqz.JPG

I spent a good couple of hours going over it with a file and taking parts to the belt sander for deburring. That made it a lot easier to handle without blood loss, at least. This picture shows the easing of the corners of the daisy wheel.

IMG_1318-dsqz.JPG

The front bearing plate has an inserted piece of sheet steel to act as a wear plate.

IMG_1316-dsqz.JPG

To that, I added .020 brass shim stock to provide a smoother wear plate.

IMG_1319-dsqz.JPG

I then oiled it and adjusted the gib screws. I left it with just enough tension to remain in place when I raise it using the hand wheel, but can lower it with my finger on top of the ram. That gives it about 1/32” of wiggle at the bottom of the stroke.

IMG_1320-dsqz.JPG

IMG_1321-dsqz.JPG

Beyond that, it just works. Can I get 3 tons of press force? With 20:1 mechanical advantage, it would take 300 pounds on the end of the handle. I weigh 200, so, no, not without a cheater pipe. But I think it will meet my needs.

Rick “now to find a place to mount it” Denney
Coming along great.

I will either buy this one, a Dayton arbor press stand (US$330.00 from Grainger)

Dayton Arbor Press Stand.jpg

Or make something like what this guy did...

Both options are compact...

Stands need to be bolted to the floor or otherwise immobilized. The backend will lift once you apply any significant force. If you start broaching, that fact will become quite obvious. Sigh, yet another thing to do, in a workshop room that is ill suited to the task. Arbor presses are awesome for pressing in pins. I've made cabinet brackets and spanner pin wrenches galore.

with the cnc cutter, and your welders, I would think you can make one. use the equipment you have.
use the force luke.
Agreed. Probably could design it from that picture from Grainger, at least it would be a good start.

Agreed. Probably could design it from that picture from Grainger, at least it would be a good start.
with the cnc cutter, and your welders, I would think you can make one. use the equipment you have.
use the force luke.

Stands need to be bolted to the floor or otherwise immobilized. The backend will lift once you apply any significant force. If you start broaching, that fact will become quite obvious. Sigh, yet another thing to do, in a workshop room that is ill suited to the task. Arbor presses are awesome for pressing in pins. I've made cabinet brackets and spanner pin wrenches galore.

If I can find material on the cheap, absolutely. Why would I buy it when I can make it for three times the cost. Right?! :D

Back