What Did You Buy Today?

I like the level bubble & the clamping method.
Yes. That is two of the biggest shortcomings of the other. Before I would place a level on the device during setup, and use an indicator to display actual travel but clamping was always a concern. I can’t confirm but am betting the bearings are larger and of higher grade as well.

Found this live center tailstock offset on the bay this week. Manufactured by Bowers in the UK, this one is branded as Royal. Movement is tight but smooth. For its age it appears to have seen little if any use. Drizzled a little lightweight oil down the ways to purge some (if any) build up in it. I have a "less invested" version (made in India I think) that works well, but this unit addresses all of the shortcomings of the other. Precision, rigidity, appearance to name a few.
View attachment 478612View attachment 478615View attachment 478616
I Want one......

Found this live center tailstock offset on the bay this week. Manufactured by Bowers in the UK, this one is branded as Royal. Movement is tight but smooth. For its age it appears to have seen little if any use. Drizzled a little lightweight oil down the ways to purge some (if any) build up in it. I have a "less invested" version (made in India I think) that works well, but this unit addresses all of the shortcomings of the other. Precision, rigidity, appearance to name a few.
You lucky dog… that is nice!

I had never seen or even heard of one of one of those. Very cool.
Great score.

Reasonably clean, 4-1/2” deep jaw “Kant-Twist” (maybe 2 in case I screw one up modifying it).
@mmcmdl : IF I come down Wednesday (2/21) a) Will you be there and 2) Will you have my 4-1/2" Deep Kant-Twist clamps? I'm thinking of helping out at the BPI (Poly) Engineers Week thing, and could stop by on my way North.

@mmcmdl : IF I come down Wednesday (2/21) a) Will you be there and 2) Will you have my 4-1/2" Deep Kant-Twist clamps? I'm thinking of helping out at the BPI (Poly) Engineers Week thing, and could stop by on my way North.
A - I will be here .
B - I'm going to have to look . Most likely they are down the other house which is 100 feet away or buried in the Vidmars . I will look today for them .

How are you involved with Poly ? One of my ex-coworker's Dad was the teacher there for many years . Does the name Piersol ring a bell ?

A - I will be here .
B - I'm going to have to look . Most likely they are down the other house which is 100 feet away or buried in the Vidmars . I will look today for them .

How are you involved with Poly ? One of my ex-coworker's Dad was the teacher there for many years . Does the name Piersol ring a bell ?
Vaguely (like many things these days), I’ll have to check my yearbook: I graduated in 1970 (Ae1 Boiler Champs).

They asked for graduates to speak/answer questions about real life as part of Engineers Week.

They asked for graduates to speak/answer questions about real life as part of Engineers Week.
Jim Piersol was a teacher there and his son was Dave . I grew up with them . I worked with a lot of grads coming out of Poly maybe around your time . Dave Mangus ?

Anyway , I just shipped a couple things . I'll try to locate some clamps .

Jim Piersol was a teacher there and his son was Dave . I grew up with them . I worked with a lot of grads coming out of Poly maybe around your time . Dave Mangus ?

Anyway , I just shipped a couple things . I'll try to locate some clamps .
No Piersol in the faculty or the class of 1970, and no Mangus in the class either. Can’t remember meeting any during my 4 years, but that was a long time ago.

I’ll pm Tuesday if I decide to come down - need to hear back from Poly and see what’s going on otherwise.

Back