What Did You Buy Today?

Looks like I misunderstood the listing, I think. I misread 18” stroke as 18” clearance. But that isn’t the case—this one looks to be more like 14” nominal. So, more of a ripoff of the Dake 1-1/2, not the 1-1/2b. No matter—I’m not going to be broaching keyways more that a quarter inch anyway so I don’t need the additional 4” of clearance. I was targeting B and C-size broaches.

Near as I can tell, this one is a solid 2” taller than the Vevor, and it close to is the same weight as the Dake (140-145 pounds—about 20% heavier than the Vevor). MSC sells it for twice the price I paid, which was about the same as the Vevor.

Rick “before somebody else has to point it out” Denney

You don't need them to be fine. You just need them to be able to get the handle back up for the next pull.
I was watching Abom play with a giant 15t floor-standing Dake with a compound handle, and at max press force one tooth of its ratchet was a full swing of the handle with the compound reduction. I’d want two.

The Chinese 3-ton presses seem to have a 1:20 advantage, which I take to mean the handle radius is 20 times the spur gear radius. (The Dake is 1:48, supposedly.) And that means nominally a half inch of ram travel for each ten inches of handle travel, which is about 60 degrees of handle swing. That’s two ratchet clicks (the ratchet has 12 teeth). Yup, should be fine.

Rick “the usual navel gazing while waiting for delivery” Denney

Thanks @ChazzC :geek:

After doing some research, I ended up buying a set of these:

I really like their aluminium wall mount socket rails and I happen to have a couple of empty rails laying around in the shop rn. According to the Q&A section of the product page, these clips should be compatible with the rails.

I didn't buy anything.
But I got these for free for helping a guy who is getting rid of all his stuff.
The end mills are nearly all carbide.
The spot drills are hss.
They are all new.
Once again, God has blessed me...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240210_070805_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240210_070805_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Behold, eighty+ pounds of questionable decisions. It’s been home less than 30min and I’m doubting myself already.

I gather the model no. 1586 Craftsman bed turret was made for early Atlas/Craftsman 10/12” machines with the narrow bed and 3/8” ways. Of course, I have a late model 12 with wider bed and 1/2” ways. In other words, this is a project. (And with two lathes and my mill all in various stages of repair or restoration, I really needed another project…)

On the plus side it seems like an easy project. It adds mass to my life. And the trick little Boyar-Schultz thingie is yet another treasure sure to draw traffic to my estate sale.

IMG_2029.jpegIMG_2031.jpegIMG_2033.jpeg

That Craftsman tail turret probably made piles of small parts during WW2. Mostly from brass, aluminum, and plastic.

A quick measurement from the top of the bed ways to the center of the turret hole will tell you if it is 10" or 12".

Back