What Did You Buy Today?

will make the necessary improvements”
I bought the "3 ton" (sort of, maybe, kind of) Chinese one from Vevor. It needed a brass plate/shoe behind the front adjustment screws, I made brass knurled adjustment screws to the side. Added set crews to hold the handle in place. The pin that locates the press plate had been sheared off, fixed that. Now it needs a sturdy stand or bench with an opening to straddle. It easily pushes keyway broaches. I intend to make some dies to form some sheet metal. The end of the ram has a hole for attaching them. It is so much faster to use than my hydraulic press (for things within its limitations.)
I forgot to add: The vertical clearance is just barely enough to allow me to use my broaches. I suspect the smaller versions would have a problem broaching.

Last edited:
Yes, I had read of your improvements. I’ll have to wait until it arrives to see what is needed, but a brass wear plate under the screws seems a given. Probable quite a lot of file work, too.

Rick “should arrive next week” Denney

Probable quite a lot of file work, too.
Actually the casting was pretty clean. Only a minor amount of file work to ease some sharp edges.
I've been wondering if anyone has used one of these to punch small holes in sheet metal.

went to the woodworking show in Edison NJ, I haven't been in many, many years. It's so small compared to what it used to be. Very few vendors. I picked up some purple heart for a very reasonable price.
And this dust vac arm. The setup I got included the hose port for the end. Not really that interested in the bellmouth end.

Thinking of improvements. Could take a few pictures around the ratchet mechanism? Looks simple enough to make a copy of, for a press that doesn't have a ratchet arm... ( = One more project on my list things to do, and my buddy with the CNC plasma table is looking for projects right now... :) )
I don’t have in in hand just yet. But the auction listing included these two pictures that will at least give you an idea.

IMG_1264.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

If I was going to convert a non-ratcheting arbor press to ratcheting, I would pull the handle and machine the shaft to be six-sided. Then I’d use a close-fitting 3/4-drive socket with my 24” Wright 3/4” ratchet handle. You could still put the handle back in and use it as designed.

Rick “thinking the ratchet on these looks awfully coarse” Denney

I don’t have in in hand just yet. But the auction listing included these two pictures that will at least give you an idea.

View attachment 477612

View attachment 477613

If I was going to convert a non-ratcheting arbor press to ratcheting, I would pull the handle and machine the shaft to be six-sided. Then I’d use a close-fitting 3/4-drive socket with my 24” Wright 3/4” ratchet handle. You could still put the handle back in and use it as designed.

Rick “thinking the ratchet on these looks awfully coarse” Denney
You don't need them to be fine. You just need them to be able to get the handle back up for the next pull.

Another one I've never seen before . Lufkin indicator . Both a test and drop indicator in one . Fully jeweled also .
I got the wooden box and all the attachments at a garage sale a few years ago. I just had to get an indicator to finish the set, and found a good working one on Ebay for about $20.00. It has come in very handy.

got the wooden box and all the attachments at a garage sale a few years ago. I just had to get an indicator to finish the set, and found a good working one on Ebay for about $20.00. It has come in very handy.
Spent the entire day sorting and seperating things . It's all going to flea bay .

Purchased a large lot from an estate sale a while back - just finally getting pics of it. The indicators are listed in the for sale section as they were part of the lot but i don't need them:

PXL_20240209_214325662.jpg

PXL_20240209_215220862.jpg

PXL_20240209_215358203.jpg

What are these?

PXL_20240209_214911338.jpg

Back