Weird question, need help

How about a step up transformer plugged in at the shed to bring things up to 15 amps....in a perfect world I would have an electrician do this but I just don't have that type of money. I'm a regular American....you know, I ride in the back of the plane get one can of coke and a cracker, no champagne or cloth napkins
No. Nothing you can do at the shed will fix this. Just like getting some snake-oil device to improve your internet speed when the problem is your provider. Short of running much larger conductors from a breaker at the house, you will need to reduce the demand (and expectations) at the shed. Or get a generator.

How about a step up transformer plugged in at the shed to bring things up to 15 amps....in a perfect world I would have an electrician do this but I just don't have that type of money. I'm a regular American....you know, I ride in the back of the plane get one can of coke and a cracker, no champagne or cloth napkins
Unfortunately, that's not how electricity works.

As you run longer and longer wires the amperage they can carry goes down due to resistance, a transformer won't change this since you're running into the laws of physics. This is why the recommendation to run 240v from a breaker on the main panel, ohm's law covers this.

It sounds like using something other than electricity for heat will be your best bet, it's gonna get a lot colder and that will effect your electrical setup too.

If it were me, I'd be putting in a wood stove and a small battery bank with solar to power the lights. Or, get a kerosene lamp and skip the electrical all together :grin:

Looks like a nice little hideout....

John

Don't laugh guys. Took me 5 years to get this far. I work with what I have and can afford.
Laugh ? Looks like a HAPPY place . :encourage: I just drove thru Lincoln and all of Montana . 149 miles on one dirt road without seeing a human while watching the gas gage drop . :grin:

Yah, it is my hideout. I hide out a lot. I haven't been off my property for 6 months except for doctors and food.....doctors are 100 miles away one way, but I am very comfortable....if I just had a little more electricity.

It is so relaxing up here with just the animals and very few people

None of the references I could find go any longer than 150ft; however, here are a couple of points:
  • Extension cords are not designed for permanent use
  • Extension cords should not be run inside of conduits as they rely on the surrounding air for cooling; running in a conduit would derate the ampacity (no charts for how much because you're not supposed to do it). Someone with a copy of the Electrical Code could give you an estimate (my NEC handbook was from the 80's so I got rid of it a long time ago).
  • 150ft Extra Heavy Duty #10 extension cord is only rated to a maximum of 15A, which may be what one of your heaters draws
  • 250ft #10 may support 7A, but with a significant voltage drop??
Please get rid of the extension cord and have an electrician run an adequate service from your main panel down to the shed before you have a fire.

THIS all day long.
You are under cabled too.

Don't laugh guys. Took me 5 years to get this far. I work with what I have and can afford.
View attachment 505324View attachment 505326
Mike don't water your electrical pole, it's not necessary ;)
How do you get internet up there? Starlink or a cable?
Looks nice up there. Try not to play with the big kitties or BIG bears. They may play for a few seconds, but they are really playing with their food.

Years ago when we had power put they also put in cable and later fiber optics. We get verizon sometimes and at my shed I get 2 bars verizon and use a hot spot for my tv

Attachments

• 73272980.mp4
    7.2 MB
So if I had 220 at the outlet where my extension cord is plugged....I could then use my extension cord and not get any flickering lights.....or maybe put a step down 110v converter on the shed side to reduce the line to 110v

Back