Mini Lathe and Change gear calculators

Are you using the Oxtool and Abom79 method ?
Jim, I’m not familiar with those methods. I googled them but there’s a bunch of videos associated with them. It probably is like those or someone else’s. I’m certain I haven’t discovered a new way of doing anything. It’s worked for me the times I’ve tried it but I’m reluctant to describe it just yet. I don’t want someone ruining their work because I was wrong.
My son finished printing my other gear last night so I’ll be practicing threading for a little while just to get use to the process. If my method works I’ll post it for others to see.
I feel a lot better about my lathe now that it’s able to do everything it’s supposed to. There’s just something not right about a lathe with a threading chart that can’t cut threads.
Merry Christmas to you and everyone else that’s tried to help

Jim, I’m not familiar with those methods. I googled them but there’s a bunch of videos associated with them. It probably is like those or someone else’s. I’m certain I haven’t discovered a new way of doing anything. It’s worked for me the times I’ve tried it but I’m reluctant to describe it just yet. I don’t want someone ruining their work because I was wrong.
My son finished printing my other gear last night so I’ll be practicing threading for a little while just to get use to the process. If my method works I’ll post it for others to see.
I feel a lot better about my lathe now that it’s able to do everything it’s supposed to. There’s just something not right about a lathe with a threading chart that can’t cut threads.
Merry Christmas to you and everyone else that’s tried to help
this is Tom's.

this is Tom's.

That’s similar and it looks like a good way of doing it too. Does that method also work on a lathe with a metric lead screw and threading dial? There’s not near as much stuff on metric threading and what I’ve seen all say leave the half nuts engaged.
I like how Joe Pie does threading. He threads from the chuck out, in reverse, with his tool upside down. It sounds a bit strange at first but makes good sense the way he explains it.
Joe Pie has a bunch of videos with good pointers. I’ve watched several videos by a young woman that knows her business too called Blondihacks. She’s one of those really smart people that are a little different from regular folk but a darn good teacher.
Merry Christmas to all

That’s similar and it looks like a good way of doing it too. Does that method also work on a lathe with a metric lead screw and threading dial? There’s not near as much stuff on metric threading and what I’ve seen all say leave the half nuts engaged.
I like how Joe Pie does threading. He threads from the chuck out, in reverse, with his tool upside down. It sounds a bit strange at first but makes good sense the way he explains it.
Joe Pie has a bunch of videos with good pointers. I’ve watched several videos by a young woman that knows her business too called Blondihacks. She’s one of those really smart people that are a little different from regular folk but a darn good teacher.
Merry Christmas to all
I do believe that that will work, just in reverse.
Quinn is ok, I have some issues with her philosophies,though.

I do believe that that will work, just in reverse.
Quinn is ok, I have some issues with her philosophies,though.
It looks like a good way of doing things and I’ll give it a try.
I havent picked up on any of her philosophies but a lot of the academic types have philosophies not shared by grown ups living and working in the real world. I don’t pay it any attention and mark it up to them not living in the real world. I know when I was away in college many of my beliefs were based on theories and hypothetical situations that we had been taught, debated and accepted. However life and the real world doesn’t deal in those cookie cutter scenarios and the lessons here are learned the hard way. The cost of attendance is paid in blood sweat and tears. When I come across those naive people I just smile and think to myself what a rude awakening they’re going to get.
Merry Christmas

It looks like a good way of doing things and I’ll give it a try.
I havent picked up on any of her philosophies but a lot of the academic types have philosophies not shared by grown ups living and working in the real world. I don’t pay it any attention and mark it up to them not living in the real world. I know when I was away in college many of my beliefs were based on theories and hypothetical situations that we had been taught, debated and accepted. However life and the real world doesn’t deal in those cookie cutter scenarios and the lessons here are learned the hard way. The cost of attendance is paid in blood sweat and tears. When I come across those naive people I just smile and think to myself what a rude awakening they’re going to get.
Merry Christmas
I am talking machining, she seems afraid to climb mill, for some reason.

I am talking machining, she seems afraid to climb mill, for some reason.
I haven’t received my mill yet and I actually know less about mills than I do about the lathe. She’s probably just doing or repeating what she was told by a teacher. However if climbing mill can result in injury I’d be very careful. This stuff is dangerous, I seen a kid cut off 3 fingers with a bandsaw in 8th grade shop class. Like the tv show says, You could put your eye out. Lol

I have a wm210 mini lathe that has the 38mm spindle bore with a 56t gear. The banjo has 3 pairs of gears but the bottom pair is actually a gear and spacer.
The gear calculator on Little Machine Shop produces charts with only 4 gears. Can those gear combinations be used with my setup and if so how?
Here’s a couple of pics of a lathe like mine and metric chart

Maybe this video will help ?
Identical machine

Back