Lathe acting up attached video

Sounds like the motor might be wired in reverse- The jog button should be the same direction as the normal forward direction. If not, then you are probably running on the reverse contactor for forward.
No problem- we can either fix that now or later. You need to show a close-up picture of the motor terminal board.
What is the power supply?
Amazon has contactors for less than 20$ each

Last edited:
its 3hp 3phase machine running off of a 5hp rpc. ill get some close ups of the electronics in the morning, will the motor terminal board be in a different location?

thank you for posting that, looking online and the factory replacement contactors are 515$ i think ill find cheaper ones lol. the overload got smacked a bit when the lathe went over on its back getting it in the garage. i swear this lathe is cursed....
on a side note if it does reverse how do i make it run in reverse (other than the jog button running the opposite of regular running) im about to round up a 3 phase drum switch to go back and forth
thank you everyone!
If I understood the question (as in "how, in use, do you make it run in reverse") the answer is (usually) to move the clutch lever that you use to start the lathe, down rather than up.

GsT

If I understood the question (as in "how, in use, do you make it run in reverse") the answer is (usually) to move the clutch lever that you use to start the lathe, down rather than up.

GsT
well i just looked in the manual and am realizing that that lever only actuated the lathe in forward. so the electrics have been pooched this whole time i guess

The motor terminal board is where the power wires attach to the motor- it's usually under a cover or plate, or there is a little box on the
side of the motor. Some motors just have numbered wires coming out. There will be 3 power wires and you want to swap two of them.
However, you may then find that the motor only operates in reverse if you still have a bad contactor. Jog may/ may not work

Last edited:
Found the cjx2 contactors and the jzc4 contactors but the overload is being a problem.... i dont know if i even need it but.... anyone have an idea where to find one? Finding nr2 series but not nr3, are they the same?

1000004013.jpg

Not sure, have to look into it. Probably you could run without it provided:
1) you aren't running the machine all day at max capacity
2) you let the machine cool off periodically and have good ventilation around the motor
3) the power supply is protected with circuit breakers of appropriate size (sometimes not possible in industrial situations)
4) you aren't letting the machine run unattended

Last edited:
I would use a NR2-25 of the same amp rating, they all do pretty much the same thing and just want one to fit the contactor. The NR3 is the next series sequence number but this appears to now be NXR. NR3 may have been a short run model. NXR has additional features, but not really needed but could be used, just need the same configuration and amperage rating adjustment. Not having one is probably a bad idea, in particular with that size motor/machine, as it would kick out the contactors in case if an overload. I did try to look for a NR3 version and not even shown on the manufactures website or anywhere else.

Attachments

• NR2 Thermal Overload relay.pdf
    840.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NXR Thermal Overload relay.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I would use a NR2-25 of the same amp rating, they all do pretty much the same thing and just want one to fit the contactor. The NR3 is the next series sequence number but this appears to now be NXR. NR3 may have been a short run model. NXR has additional features, but not really needed but could be used, just need the same configuration and amperage rating adjustment. Not having one is probably a bad idea, in particular with that size motor/machine, as it would kick out the contactors in case if an overload. I did try to look for a NR3 version and not even shown on the manufactures website or anywhere else.
thank you for this, i had went ahead and ordered the nx2 since all the numbers were matching up but hearing someone else say it is comforting. for now i just get to wait for the parts to show up i guess i appreciate everything guys will update when i parts show up!

Contactors came in today. Now to clear wifes stuff out of the way so i can start moving wires over
1000004042.jpg

Back