Another SB9a rotary wiring question

Hard to give a simple answer but on some units the start circuit is more difficult to access electrically
The Dayton motors have been problematic in the past, with some drum switches.
You have the best type of drum switch fortunately.
I would avoid the cheap Vevor motors
Leeson seems to be one of the better bargains out there- prices jump so abruptly from 1/2 to 3/4 HP
Unless you are planning to work with a lot of stainless and other steels, 1/2 HP would power your machine just fine
More power just increases the chances of damage if you were to crash the machine, but we won't be doing that--
Will we? LOL

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply. I went with the Leeson. Hopefully it shows up on time on Monday. I'm dying to make some chips with this thing.

I had a feeling the purchase wad "too good to be true" and would go off without a hitch. But this should set me up for a good long while of turning. If the machine had been up and running right away, I would not have learned as much as I have about how it works, nor would I have gotten it as cleaned up and SAFE to run in my setup.

Thinking the first project will be turning a new adapter plate to allow my nicer 3 jaw to be used with it! The question now is do I start from scratch, or get one of the adapter blanks from grizzly that already come threaded for the spindle?

Thinking the first project will be turning a new adapter plate to allow my nicer 3 jaw to be used with it! The question now is do I start from scratch, or get one of the adapter blanks from grizzly that already come threaded for the spindle?

I think I'd not make my first project something that wants to be just about "dead nutz". I'd recommend playing a little bit first. If you've got a Tractor Supply (ish) place nearby, grab a couple of one inch bolts and cut 'em up. Pick a number and try to hit it. And another, and another. Play with the auto feeds, tool angles, and and depths of cut. Learn to land on a dimension, THEN make things that have a dimension... I'm not saying you've got to be a full on machinist to make a backing plate. Not at all. But you want to at least have a fighting chance of a spot on result. That said, if you make it a little sloppy, odds are you can still work with it and it won't be scrap. That'd be one of those things that if it happens, it happens, but there's no sense setting yourself up to have to work with it...

8TPI is a HUGE thread for that lathe. It'll do it. It'll absolutely do it in many (not all) materials. (I'm not sure how deep you might thread bore that though. This isn't that deep, but you aren't gonna have much room for tool stickout, It's gonna get flexy pretty quick) But depending on the material, your tooling, and your comfort level with speeds and feeds, that can go off the rails quite quickly. That's kinda the threading 201 class, absolutely not just point and shoot. Everything about the lathe, the tool, and your speeds and feeds, and your adjustment to those as the cut progresses will need to be DEAD NUTZ ON POINT to make that happen. I'd let somebody else do the hard part, and just trim a pre-made part to size. Metal sells pretty close to by the pound. You're going to turn a LOT of material off of a metal disc, which means If you look around some, I'd almost bet that total cost, the money migh come out closer than you'd think to being a wash either way.

You want a pre-threaded backplate, then you do the finish machining to match it to your chuck
A vernier caliper would be helpful if you don't have one- I like the 8" size with a dial

I'll need to run power first I guess. So I need to go get a more appropriate power cord, and pig tail to tie the motor and switch all together. I assume the 2 should be the same gauge, but not sure how many conductors I'll need?

Can either if you share the process for figuring that out?

You'll need a 3 conductor power cord + 4 conductors from switch to motor
14 or 16 gauge stranded wire should be ok
add another conductor for ground from switch to motor (can be a separate wire)
Refer to the sketch in post #6, is basically the same (ground not shown)

Last edited:
I'll need to run power first I guess. So I need to go get a more appropriate power cord, and pig tail to tie the motor and switch all together. I assume the 2 should be the same gauge, but not sure how many conductors I'll need?

Can either if you share the process for figuring that out?

There's not "too" much "process" to figuring that out... Go to the NEC, look up the listed full load amps for a motor of your horsepower, multiply that times 1.25 because motors are awful in how they treat your electrical system, multiply that again by the service factor if it's higher than one, derate for conduits... All sorts of stuff... And from that, figure out the amps you have to wire for. Spoiler- It's 17 amps. I didn't look at your service factor, I called it 1.00. If you have a higher service factor, you won't be using it. Then adjust up if required because (you won't be required, you're already there), but if you had a motor small enough to be "good" on 14gauge or less "behind the walls", you still can't, 12 gauge is the minimum. But that's on a dedicated motor receptacle, or a hard wired motor. You very much can "plug in" a motor to any suitable receptacle/outlet. NEC ends at the outlet.

So, presuming you've verified 12 gauge wire to your outlet that you intend to use- You're good.

NEC does not offer "different minimum standards" for things not covered by it. Assuming you're not using conduit of any type, (From the wall to the lathe, more on that in a second), if you were to apply the NEC's standards for "built in stuff", a 14ga flexible cord is only good for 15 amps. That's fair.
So, from the wall, to the lathe, 17 amps in that cord, when in fact it will NEVER SEE 17 amps sustained- Fiften amps allowable in a 14 gauge cord will do just fine to get power to the lathe, presuming the length is reasonable. If it's gonna be a fifteen or twenty foot cord, then consider 12 gauge. It'll more'n likely work anyhow with 14 gauge, but you're already nearing a capacity before the cord gets long, 12 would be better and warranted in that case. But under 25 feet or so, no lectures from me on burning the house down on that particular aspect.

Then, from the switch to the motor- Absolutely 14 gauge is fine for that. The run is gonna be well under two feet, and even though there are conduit derate rules and such- You're inherently going tho have equal current in all the wires, the run is short, well below the "nipple rule" for conduit fill, there's ten thousand exceptions for motor hookups that let you do things differently than other electrical installations. Basically, whatever conduit you choose to contain the wires, it's got to hold your "switch to motor" bundle inside of it, but you can literally stuff it as full as you want (you can NOT stuff enough insulated wires into a conduit to violate the code, so no worries about doing the same in a pllace that falls outside the code... Any conduit you like, 14 gauge wires, and while on that short of a run, 16 gauge "could do it", and it would work, it'd be brutal. The cost difference from one to the next rounds to about nothing. So 14 gauge there for sure.

So from all of that, I'm calling out 14 gauge for everything, UNLESS the power cord lengths gets excessive.

How's that for how I got there. I really wish that NEC was made public. It's paid access. You don't need it for a job this small. They keep it under TIGHT copyrite wraps, as purchasing that book is what funds the making of that book. I'd like to have put up snips. I don't like it that way, but there it is...

Anyhow....

The power cord from the wall, you could make that up, or it may or may not be socially acceptable in your neck of the woods to cut up a14 gauge extension cord, liberate it from it's female end, strip back the jacket, and there you go. (That's not right... If you tell anybody Isaid that, I'll deny it). Or make one up out of some service cord (SJOOW would be nice), and then you'd have an industrial cord that you could walk on and drive cars over and such... That's real money though. Only if it's needed.

Conduit. You could absolutely use J cord again. Not conduit but I'm lumping it in anyhow because it's well protected wiring.

Here's a couple of common things to see what you can comes easily over there on the other side of the country from where I shop. All are fine options,

Cord (proper flexible cord that is NOT an extension cord). is the easiest option IF short lengths are available easily to you. And I perefer that, but it's pretty much cosmetic, they're all fine..
MC cable (the flexible metal cable type wiring with wires pre-installed. It's a bear to strip unless you buy a tool)
FMC conduit (the metal jacket like above, except stuff your own wires)
Liquid tight conduit (Very popular, takes special box connectors). is a popular choice.

The loose wire you want for anything that does not come with wires in it is 14 gauge THHN. Or there may or may not be 14 gauge stranded wire left over inside the other half of the extension cord that you may or may not have cut up to make the power cord. (That's not right... If you tell anybody Isaid that, I'll deny this too.)

All of those are gonna need two suitable connectors, one at the switch and one at the motor.

Back