G0709 Review

my new addium is "you rarely get more than you pay for, but will often will get less"
Indeed! Those are words I live by.

LOL so they put all this effort into making the QCTP look pretty. The finish is superb. Compared to the Asian knock offs the threading is excellent, even the chamfers are a thing of beauty. Then they toss in a T nut blank that looks like it was cut by hand with a hacksaw. lol
Yep. Doesn't make sense to me either, but it's the way it's always been, afaik.

I very nearly went with Shars tool holders. They are not finished as well as the Dorian but looking closely they are a step up from the other Asian tool holders in finish e.g. threading/chamfer quality.
Check out the "Accusize" toolholders on Amazon. They have a finish that is unmatched even by Dorian and Aloris. I mean eye-candy good. They're beautiful. That said, there's some variation in slot height and I've found at least one that wouldn't accommodate a "full" slot (3/4" tool in nominally 3/4" slot).

GsT

Their handle ball is tiny and mine was dinged up. I made a new ball and threaded rod out of O1. The tool post they provided had poor threads, and I also needed metric threads on one end to fit into my T-nut. I do not use the alignment pins.
View attachment 502103
The handle ball with mine is fine and fits my hand nicely. I was a little put off by the neon red. Agree the threads were a bit sketchy on mine but I have seen far worse. For now I have way too many other priorities to worry about it.

On the topic of tool post alignment, 90 degrees square to the lathe centerline vs 29-29.5 degree approach I think I tried both in the past and ended up at 90 with no noticeable difference between the two. As the lathe breaks in and loosens up that may change.

Last edited:
Wait for it...DOH!!! :cussing: That was it exactly thanks mksj. Note to self don't work on stuff at 1am. (sigh) I'm off to edit/delete my rant.
regardless of the goof, keep posting the eye candy it is the only thing getting me thru dealing with contractors right now, so that i will have a conditioned space, so that i can buy more eye candy (err necessary tools), then build more conditioned space, for more eye candy etc.

Attachments

• IMG_6400.jpeg
    IMG_6400.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6416.jpeg
    IMG_6416.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 8
The handle ball with mine is fine and fits my hand nicely. I was a little put off by the neon red. Agree the threads were a bit sketchy on mine but I have seen far worse. For now I have way too many other priorities to worry about it.

On the topic of tool post alignment, 90 degrees square to the lathe centerline vs 29-29.5 degree approach I think I tried both in the past and ended up at 90 with no noticeable difference between the two. As the lathe breaks in and loosens up that may change.
I may be doing it wrong but i leave mine free to rotate and find that changing the angle helps with tool reach and is helpful for cutting chamfers.

regardless of the goof, keep posting the eye candy it is the only thing getting me thru dealing with contractors right now, so that i will have a conditioned space, so that i can buy more eye candy (err necessary tools), then build more conditioned space, for more eye candy etc.
Nice shop! I have the land to build a shop but thus far can't justify it vs just using my 3 car garage. I'm thinking of installing a mini split in the garage.

I have the same large black toolchest as in your pic...it's full WTH

I may be doing it wrong but i leave mine free to rotate and find that changing the angle helps with tool reach and is helpful for cutting chamfers.
The pins are easily removed should I need to rotate it. This brings up the parting blade incident...I got too aggressive parting off and BAM it spun the tool post and destroyed the parting blade. Plus you know, the sanitary cycle on the washing machine after. Hence I'm a fan of the anti rotation pins.

This was before I discovered the monster Aloris #71 parting tool.

got too aggressive parting off and BAM it spun the tool post and destroyed the parting blade.
Interesting. I'm guilty of being overly aggressive some times/too often, and have never spun the tool post.
As for tool holders, I've bought mostly Shars. Buy a few when they go on sale. I can't see anything wrong with them. OTOH the ones I got on eBay had crappy screws. I do have a few of the XL holders for 3/4" tools on a BAX machine.
As for cutting threads: I've been going straight in for a long time, can't see any point in the old 29.5± method. I also thread away from the chuck which also allows me to run faster.

I also thread away from the chuck which also allows me to run faster.
That's interesting, as the G0709 has a foot brake limit switch that stops the lathe cold in a heartbeat I had thought about splicing a 2nd limit switch into that circuit as a fail safe to keep from crashing into the chuck. I like your approach of threading away from the chuck even more.

I like your approach of threading away from the chuck even more.
I just copied the idea from Joe Pie.
It may save wear & tear on the lathe to eliminate the slam-blam-thank-you Mam treatment.
That & I don't trust the speed on an old foot!

Back