G0709 Review

As there is no x,y,z dimensional schematic of the lathe to go by here are the reference points on the lathe I measured to draw up the lathe in CAD...

1. Lower headstock end cover bolt to factory motor pulley, and top of the headstock.
2. Top and back of the headstock to several points.
3. Factory motor pulley and spindle pulley.
4. Top outer edge of the chip pan back and headstock end.
5. Face of motor mount on the lathe bed casting.
6. Factory cast iron motor mount.
7. Headstock end cover.

Great idea, I should mount a web cam back there so I can watch it on a monitor! lol But seriously, I am sad that it mounts with the Baldor motor tag facing down. :(
mirrored rotating table for the lathe? then you could see the tag.

I dialed in the Bison Set Tru chuck today, got it to .00003 :eek 2:

Now the accuracy of the ground pin I was using is .0001 to .0003 and the stated repeatability of the chuck is .0004. So I removed the pin and re-chucked it and got .0003 run out, super happy with that. I doubt the rest of the lathe can maintain 3 tenths but great to start off with as accurate as the spindle and chuck can achieve.

To wrap up the chuck install I'll put a cardboard box around it (saw that trick in a forum post) and let her rip until all the oil and grease flies off.

Up next, machine the T nut for the Dorian BXA QCTP.

I made a wooden cradle for my 8" chuck that slides along the ways and has handles to lift it off the machine. My body doesn't like to hold that much weight and try to fit it to the spindle while cantilevered out from my broken down body.

Back