SB Rehab/Restoration

Thoro(thank you) its SW's Sher-Kem paint very high gloss( has a glass finish to it) which can work against you cause it shows all the little imperfections on sheet metal but cast iron its good.Myself in the past I normally use the type of paint that is being sent to you,but it scratches easy.This is the first time I have ever use the Sher-kem paint but it does chip if struck hard.I guess all paint has alittle problem---kroll

I see. Well, hopefully the paint I am getting won't be unsuitable....

Guys being off this week I am able to get some things done to the lathe like putting the money coat of paint on the cabinet.I wish I would have put just alittle more thinner with the paint cause it has alittle orange peel it will pass.Next I move on to the saddle getting it put together and I have to say that installing those little pins in the dial was a pain,but complete.Next if I choose to except this mission(music from Mission Impossible in the background) will be the apron,I will have to read the book some more to make sure I install the felt in all the right places.So far so good----kroll

DSC02268.JPG DSC02269.JPG DSC02270.JPG

Lookin good!

I'm almost ready to start paining my carriage and compound. Is your apron just primed on the front? what was your method for cleaning inside the apron? Did it have a bunch of built up oil and chips crud?

Thank you,it is only primed on the front.When I took it apart there was no paint on the back side so I'm going to go bare,like someone else said here at the site the oil will keep it from rusting.Over the last few yrs I have been using a degreaser sold at Lowes in 5gal container call Zep Degreaser(vinyl gloves is necessary),it is very stout,will remove grease and paint if you leave it setting over night,I remove the part wash it down with clean water then blow it off then spray it with WD 40 till I get ready to paint which then I use thinner to clean again.
The apron really was not that cake up with shaving or grease other than in the corners,it came clean pretty easy.Thanks for looking---kroll

DSC02169.JPG

Guys I feel alittle guilty,while ya'll are at work and I'm home working on the lathe. I was going to try and snick by the clutch assembly without cleaning but my conscience got the best of me and I'm glad.Looking at the assemble the outside was clean but when I started to take it apart it was full of gunk and the plates(lobed) were stuck together.So that was a close call,and another thing,idler gear there is three small holes for oil,those holes were solid with gunk so no oil was passing through those holes.Just some little things I though I would share with others.Thanks for looking----kroll

DSC02251.JPG DSC02272.JPG DSC02271.JPG

I'm confuse,going by the book since this is a 10L lathe I should have 4 lobed 3 splines.But I have 4/4 and the stack finishes with a spline but the book shows finishing with a lobed.I have it lined up in the pic the way I took it apart,does this look and sound right?????Maybe since this lathe is a 1942 model its alittle different and this one has no thrust bearing like the book shows---kroll

DSC02273.JPG

Guys I think I may have found another problem from the factory.Since starting the apron all was going good install the felt with the horseshoe shape around the clutch even out the ends.Going by the book move on to the other gears and felt and I'm moving on with a smile on my face saying to myself "I know what I'm doing" WRONG! I went to install the bushings and the worm gear and slip the felt through the bushing but guess what??? There is no groove or channel in the bushings for the felt so how in the heck does this thing get oil?Keep in mind that this has been like this since 1942,the bushings does show alittle wear and the middle threads on the worm gear is thinner than the others.
Now awhile back someone here said that evey yr SB would change their design so maybe this is one of them,am I panicking over nothing????-----kroll

DSC02274.JPG

From what I've seen of your pics your 1942 Heavy 10 seems to be just like my 1944 Heavy 10 - and I found the book to really be more a "guide" than a verbatim step by step. It was about 3 yrs ago when I did mine but I seem to recall the apron was one of the (several) areas that it didnt follow. The 4 & 4 discs sounds familiar, but I cant remember on the wicks.

You sure doin good though....

Here's mine. First one to go in is lobed, last one is splined. sorry, the pic is a bit dark, took it with my phone, and thought it would have been better than that.

I concur with Pacer. I have found the book to be a good guideline, as far order of events in assembly and disassembly, but you have to assimilate some things as you go along.
IMG_20140117_163338.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Guys I think I may have found another problem from the factory.Since starting the apron all was going good install the felt with the horseshoe shape around the clutch even out the ends.Going by the book move on to the other gears and felt and I'm moving on with a smile on my face saying to myself "I know what I'm doing" WRONG! I went to install the bushings and the worm gear and slip the felt through the bushing but guess what??? There is no groove or channel in the bushings for the felt so how in the heck does this thing get oil?Keep in mind that this has been like this since 1942,the bushings does show alittle wear and the middle threads on the worm gear is thinner than the others.
Now awhile back someone here ethat evey yr SB would change their design so maybe this is one of them,am I panicking over nothing????-----kroll

That seems really odd...Mine had all the keys cut for wicks....seems to me that there should definitely be one there. You may just have to move on without wicking that portion and perhaps grease that side, cross your fingers and assume it's been that way for 70 years, so what's another 70 gonna hurt it? lol

IMG_20140117_163338.jpg

Thanks guys I was wondering about the book,I think its maybe more for the newer ones I guess.Thanks Thoro,I feel better knowing that the lobes and splines are the same as your.
Guys one more thing for today,I am in need of the key for the lead screw,mine has a shoulder on it and it fits loose in the worm gear and the lead screw.If someone has an extra or a link or know of someone who is willing to sell,I'm all ears.Done for today---kroll

DSC02279.JPG

Back