SB Rehab/Restoration

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Afternoon guys,well this weekend I started providing my labor for pay restoring a 10L SB that is going to help fund my Clausing.I started disassembling the lathe on Friday and I think that someone may have started before me cause all the screws,gears,etc came apart very easy,no problems what so ever,then took apart the taper attachment down to the last taper pin.

Started with the tailstock,layed it out on some cardboard and procided taking it apart,then the head removing the spindle and backgear,again all very easy.Layed it out in order on a piece of cardboard,then work on the bed.Guys I use some of that Purple Power cleaner and it works great letting it soak for afew hrs.

I have one of those cheap power washers so I use it to remove the cleaner and grease,shavens,then a bird flew over and add bird poop to the list.
Guys I wanted to remove the chip pan cause it was full of gunk,but I be dang that thing was welded in several place which took a good part of 4hrs to remove it,then apply the cleaner and use a scrub brush then the power washer.
Today I spent time putting some primer on the tailstock,taper attachment,bed.I just use a brush cause I did not want to thin the primer down to spray.This will be the first coat of primer which I will sand down alittle then spray the sec coat trying to even it out some.

- - - Updated - - -

Ran out of room in the first post,so here is one more pic which is it for today cause I'm tired as heck,it was a good weekend got alot done.Guys I did purchase the book with all the wick material,that book is fantastic so thanks for the suggestions and thanks for looking---kroll

- - - Updated - - -

Ran out of room in the first post,so here is one more pic which is it for today cause I'm tired as heck,it was a good weekend got alot done.Guys I did purchase the book with all the wick material,that book is fantastic so thanks for the suggestions and thanks for looking---kroll

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be following this thread as you progress. Just got my own 10L and hopefully someday to do the same to it. Everyone says they are pretty easy to disassemble and restore but always intimidating when you attempt something for the first time.

Looking forward to pictures and commentary.

Topstrap

I will also be following your restoration. I really enjoy seeing them look like new again, ready for many more years of parts Made In America!

I've just got to ask, what is that doohickey sitting between the apron and the threading dial? Something like a Trav-a-dial maybe?

I look forward to watching this one come together.

-Ron

Guys here's a pic of what I tried to post yesterday but keep messing it up,showing alittle primering using a brush.Having to fill several pin holes in the casting,doing the bed is kinda hard due to the hard spots.

Ron,I really don't know what it is other than a dial to let you know how far in/out you more the carriage.There is a wheel that rides up again the ways,but I don't know what the hand dial is for.Maybe someone will let us know,its well made and pretty nice just waiting for me to clean it up some.

Thanks for looking,if any advice please let me know----kroll

What are you using to clean the parts and the casting ? Also what kind of paint is it a rattle can and what color?

I've just got to ask, what is that doohickey sitting between the apron and the threading dial? Something like a Trav-a-dial maybe?

I look forward to watching this one come together.

-Ron

It turned out to be a dial indicator in a later photo. He is going to have a nice looking machine when he finishes.

As mentioned that is indeed a 'Travadial' or 'Trav-A-Dial' (you see it both ways) They are a great accessory. My first "real" lathe (a 12x36) I installed one on it and immediately fell in love with it. Like a regular dial indicator, you rotate the bezel to zero and the knob to zero, turn the apron wheel and it starts reading off the travel. When properly set up (not unlike a DRO) it is dead on accurate.

I moved to another lathe letting my travadial go when I sold the lathe. On the new lathe I added a DRO but I still miss the travadial!

Travadials were/are mounted on many machines that had movement - X & Y on mills, surface grinders. etc.

Used ones on ebay are still quite pricy or Id be tempted to add one to my lathe.

Kroll, when/if you reinstall it on the SB, it will need to be calibrated/adjusted similar to a DRO to be accurate.

Back