SB Rehab/Restoration

Thanks guys I was wondering about the book,I think its maybe more for the newer ones I guess.Thanks Thoro,I feel better knowing that the lobes and splines are the same as your.
Guys one more thing for today,I am in need of the key for the lead screw,mine has a shoulder on it and it fits loose in the worm gear and the lead screw.If someone has an extra or a link or know of someone who is willing to sell,I'm all ears.Done for today---kroll

Mine showed signs of wear too, but I figure it will just have a tiny bit of backlash when changing directions of feed, which shouldn't hurt it any....

Looks like an easy part to make if you have a mill. Even with a file, it'd be a pretty pretty simple, just take more time.

I can buy some key stock,and just take an angle grinder then touch it up on the bench grinder.I did not think of that,thanks Thoro----kroll

Good afternoon guys,well its the end of my short at home vacation but it was productive.I feel I was able to get alot done to the lathe and also find some problems.On those problems I have been provided some helpful information on the worm bushings and waiting for a responce from an individual who may have parts such as the worm and worm gear so keeping my fingers cross.If not I guess I will be calling griz and a foolish banker(humor)What I'm really happy about I was able to put some parts on the lathe and off the bench,table saw and other flat places.What I have left is finish the gear box,installing it then the headstock which I have to make some shims so thats a hurdle for me.Maybe sometimes next week I will have those replacement parts so I can finish up the apron and maybe install it on the weekend.But I do still have a ton of loose ends that needs to be dealt with and some of those mystery left over parts.If there is one area that I need to improve on is being organize.I start out saying to myself I will remember that but over couple mos my mind goes blank.
Now I have a question,here in the south humidity is a problem.I can't afford to treat the shop nor my carport.As you can see in the pic the underdrive pulley already has alittle surface rust,I just clean it on Friday.So how do ya'll handle something like this,I can't wax it like I do my woodworking tools so what is the best way?Thanks for looking---kroll

DSC02281.JPG DSC02282.JPG

If that lathe is going to run a serpentine belt then a coat of wax like you use on your wood working machines is ok, you can't oil it, so you have to put something on it. Don't permanently install the gearbox or head stock until you get the apron done. I suppose you could instal the apron from the tail stock end. I hung the apron and then slide the lead screw and gearbox on. I did it this way so I could get the nuts for the lead screw tight before mounting the gear box. Whatever works I guess. I still really like the colors of this one. Maybe when I restore my wells band saw I will do black and blue as well.

Thanks,I know that serpentine belt would be better but the leather belt is still very good so for now going to give it a try and see what it does with a load on it.----kroll

Thanks Woodtick,I never gave it any thought on dealing with the lead screw trying to slide that very heavy apron on.I think I will just wait till I get it done.----kroll

Morning guys,well its 35* this morning so I guess I can handle cold weather(don't laugh I have good hearing)so I am now starting on the drawers and the two piece door.I went to add the washing soda and it landed on top of a sheet of ice(who says it don't get cold here except people from Alaska thats for globel warming).Anyway since all sides needs to be derusted(is that a real word?)I though I would use the electrolysis method.I use this method several times on some of my woodworking machines just to do a good job of cleaning in all those very small cracks that have awhole lot of rust.So pulled out my tub,expanded metal,charger and washing soda.As you can see in the pic I have couple small pieces of angle iron to seat in the bottom to raise the drawer up off the bottom so it would also get clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Now guys I seat the drawer in the tub on the angle iron and I need to add alittle more water,after doing so I took a water temp to see what it is and before I take the drawer out I will check the water temp again just for grins.Couple of pics of the drawers before cleaning.The last one is my Junk Yard Guard,she works for chicken feed.Don't mess with Tinkerbell---Little humor

DSC02284.JPG DSC02283.JPG DSC02287.JPG DSC02289.JPG DSC02285.JPG DSC02286.JPG DSC02290.JPG

Boy was it a long day at "The House of Restoration",my goal was to finish up with the priming but the electrolysis tank took alittle longer so the very last piece of metal is still cooking in the tank.But I did start yesterday cleaning the drawers using the tank letting them soak for the most part of the day.I did have to use the torch on the drawer slides to straighten the edge they were all bent in the same area.On the drawer fronts the corners needed to be heated so that they could be bent out to straighten up nice and flat.Next was acouple of coats of primer even on the bottom side.Next I started working on both halves of the door.Bout noon time I put one half of the door in the tank and let it seat till 5pm took it out and clean it up,apply couple coats of primer.But its almost dark now so the other half is now in the tank and my spray gun use the dekup system so the paint will be alright till tomorrow which will be the very last piece to be primer of this very long adventure.Heres afew random pics of yesterdays work and todays.Thanks for looking----kroll

DSC02294.JPG DSC02295.JPG DSC02297.JPG DSC02300.JPG DSC02302.JPG

Afternoon guys,well I haven't through in the towel yet.But I am waiting on some gears for the apron to come in.The worm and worm gear are just to bad to take a chance and use them,so moving on to other things like this fantastic collet set.Took some evapo-rust and place bout 10 collets in tupperware bowl we'll see what they look like tomorrow---kroll

DSC02303.JPG

Back