One Day Left = Retirement

Congratulations Jeff,
When I finished getting a regular pay check 20 years ago, it was scary for the first while, living on a greatly reduced income.
Went from a 6 figure salary to living off savings.
Up till then I had a house keeper looking after the kids, they loved having me at home. That made it worth the anxiety.
I have some income coming in now from the machine shop and cabinet shop, my one son works in the cabinet shop with me.Thats pretty much play money, We live on what's supposed to be below the poverty line. lol
Now I get up when I feel like it, drink coffee till I feel like deciding if I'll do work for someone else, or play in the machine shop on my projects, (spent the last 3 days making parts for a model engine) maybe work in the cabinet shop, or run the saw mill (have a pile of logs to reduce to lumber), cut firewood, (we heat with wood), go fishing, have a ride on the atv or snowmobile (put 1900 km on a new side by side I bought in April), in the summer work in the garden, maybe go diving, or just take the boat somewhere, didn't licence the motor cycle this year, decided I didn't have time for it, want to set up a blacksmith shop but haven't had the time to get a hood and flue over the forge, was given a furnace with all the ladles and molding equipment but haven't had time to get it set up, drop over and visit the neighbour when he's back from the arctic, do some work on the house that's been going through a 16 year remodel, the tractor needs a service, the machine shop need cleaned out, should haul shavings from the cabinet shop, someones coming to get slabs from the mill this morning, then I'll probably go measure up a set of shelves someone wants built. Covid has held me off going on a couple month trip with a new travel trailer to above the arctic circle, ( the North West territories hav the border closed).
Don't think you'll regret retirement.

Greg

Congratulations Jeff. Some anxiety is normal at first, but after a while you'll wonder
what the fuss was about. Enjoy!

Congratulations Jeff. Enjoy your retirement. Now you will have extra time to make some chips.

Congratulations Jeff,
When I finished getting a regular pay check 20 years ago, it was scary for the first while, living on a greatly reduced income.
Went from a 6 figure salary to living off savings.
Up till then I had a house keeper looking after the kids, they loved having me at home. That made it worth the anxiety.
I have some income coming in now from the machine shop and cabinet shop, my one son works in the cabinet shop with me.Thats pretty much play money, We live on what's supposed to be below the poverty line. lol
Now I get up when I feel like it, drink coffee till I feel like deciding if I'll do work for someone else, or play in the machine shop on my projects, (spent the last 3 days making parts for a model engine) maybe work in the cabinet shop, or run the saw mill (have a pile of logs to reduce to lumber), cut firewood, (we heat with wood), go fishing, have a ride on the atv or snowmobile (put 1900 km on a new side by side I bought in April), in the summer work in the garden, maybe go diving, or just take the boat somewhere, didn't licence the motor cycle this year, decided I didn't have time for it, want to set up a blacksmith shop but haven't had the time to get a hood and flue over the forge, was given a furnace with all the ladles and molding equipment but haven't had time to get it set up, drop over and visit the neighbour when he's back from the arctic, do some work on the house that's been going through a 16 year remodel, the tractor needs a service, the machine shop need cleaned out, should haul shavings from the cabinet shop, someones coming to get slabs from the mill this morning, then I'll probably go measure up a set of shelves someone wants built. Covid has held me off going on a couple month trip with a new travel trailer to above the arctic circle, ( the North West territories hav the border closed).
Don't think you'll regret retirement.

Greg
Sounds like you have plenty to keep you going!!

Congratulations. It's a big step in your journey through life. There will be lots of changes, most of them good. You know that list of round-tuits you collected? It's time to sort through them and start on making some of them a reality. Enjoy the ride!

Just a reflection of a fellow retiree:
When you realize the value of the time left,
you dwell less on what is past, and concentrate
more on the preservation of the future !

Retirement: the pay is not so good but the time is free.

Welcome to the list of retiree’s. Good Health to you and yours !

Back