One Day Left = Retirement

It might be a little weird at first, but I'm sure you will adjust.

Oddest part for me was holidays, I was so used to getting the day off or paid extra to work holidays that it felt weird to just have the holiday be like any other day except stuff might be closed. :)

Congratulations I'm sure you will have no trouble filling up all of your newly found time.

It might be a little weird at first, but I'm sure you will adjust.

Oddest part for me was holidays, I was so used to getting the day off or paid extra to work holidays that it felt weird to just have the holiday be like any other day except stuff might be closed. :)

Congratulations I'm sure you will have no trouble filling up all of your newly found time.
I'll second that comment. This is the first set of holidays that I have been retired. And it is a little odd for sure.

For years I got up at 0530 hrs, I've been retired sense the end of May and this winter of all things I've been sleeping in until 0700 hrs. And by the way I haven't had the alarm set sense the last day of work. And another thing that is nice if I get tired in the middle of the day I just kick back in the recliner and take a nap. It' just doesn't get in better than that!

The question is, how soon after breakfast is too soon to take a nap? LOL

Tim

I guess you really know when it’s time because i was really having a hard time with the daily grind of it all.
Up at 3, read a bit, eat breakfast, shower shave and at 5:30 drive the 36 miles on Highway 99. Two lane dangerous road.
Off at 4 head on back home. For decades.
I just can’t do it anymore.
Sounds like you are from our parts...

Madera Co here...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Congratulations!!!
I left the Dealership (Chevy) in 1999-I was the service manager and I hated my job by the time I left--everyone is mad at you for their new car breaking :grin:.
You will stay busy and wonder how you had time to go to work,

Congratulations Jeff. Your journey is only beginning. I retired over 15 years ago and I'm still trying to find time to do all the machine work I'd like to. Things will be a bit different, but just as hectic as when you were going out the door to work. As mentioned there's that ever-expanding Honey Do list. It took me almost 2 years to work through the most pressing things on the list. It was only then that I could even think of spending time in the shop.

Hopefully you'll find time for doing many of the things you've wanted to do in the last 35 years but put off because there wasn't enough time. In our case we finally had time to take our RV on extended vacations. We went on half a dozen caravans that lasted 6 to 8 weeks and went to Alaska 3 times for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Things have slowed a bit in that area due to covid but were looking forward to a few weeks this winter in some warm country, and another trip to Alaska later in the year.

One thing I did notice is that once I had time to do all the things I thought I wanted to do I also found time to procrastinate and decide whether or not I really wanted to do them. Some things fell by the wayside while others I never previously thought of were accomplished.

I've often thought about going back to work just because I liked the job and the people I worked with. Then I realize I don't have time to squeeze it into my schedule, and I can visit any of my former coworkers anytime I want to. I'm sure you're going to enjoy retirement. Just think of it as an extended paid vacation.

Back