One Day Left = Retirement

It was really strange the next morning getting up to go to work, but no work.
To be quite honest, this is a real concern.
Some say it's like a vacation but after 2 or 3 weeks you finally realize, I'm retired, I'll never go back to work!!
I'm a bit anxious about it.

Just take a deep breath, exhale, and enjoy. When I sold my last business I had absolutely no regrets. It might have taken a few days to get my bearings, but that was it. I still put in a lot of hours, but for the most part I'm doing exactly what I want, and it just doesn't get any better than that. Mike

I left my job of 39 years about 8 years ago. It was a trip getting used to, but it happened. I'm self-employed but work out of my garage 40 feet away. It's almost like being retired. A job with no politics or Peyton Place.
Congratulations and have fun!

My supervisor told me to stay home and not come in my last few days. So on the last day I slept in. Drove in that afternoon and went straight to HR. Gave them my ID and key card and walked out of the building and drove away. Felt weird but in a good way.

Congratulations! My last official day is Dec 31 too. I've sort of mostly retired already though. I just got up from a short afternoon nap and took my dog for a romp in the snow. If you're like me, I think you will get used to retirement quickly!

TashaInSnow_Smaller.jpg

To be quite honest, this is a real concern.
Some say it's like a vacation but after 2 or 3 weeks you finally realize, I'm retired, I'll never go back to work!!
I'm a bit anxious about it.
If you're like most people I know you'll soon wonder how you ever had time to go to work every day for all of those years! Only people with no outside interests (they do exist, believe it or not) are at a loss for how to fill up their time after they retire. After seven years of "retirement" I can't keep up with all of the things that I want to be doing, especially since my wife and I started hosting five day a week "grandma and grandpa school" a year ago for our now 18 month old grandson. His favorite thing to do--hang out in grandpa's shop (although I'm not turning any machines on when he's there--yet).

If you're like most people I know you'll soon wonder how you ever had time to go to work every day for all of those years! Only people with no outside interests (they do exist, believe it or not) are at a loss for how to fill up their time after they retire. After seven years of "retirement" I can't keep up with all of the things that I want to be doing, especially since my wife and I started hosting five day a week "grandma and grandpa school" a year ago for our now 18 month old grandson. His favorite thing to do--hang out in grandpa's shop (although I'm not turning any machines on when he's there--yet).
I guess you really know when it’s time because i was really having a hard time with the daily grind of it all.
Up at 3, read a bit, eat breakfast, shower shave and at 5:30 drive the 36 miles on Highway 99. Two lane dangerous road.
Off at 4 head on back home. For decades.
I just can’t do it anymore.

Back